Chapter 23- Samus' POV

Valentines day. What a lovely, lovely time. 

If you're in a relationship, that is. 

For a single person like me? Not quite. 

There was a knock on the door. I rolled over in my bed and shut my math binder. "Come on in," I called, "it's not locked."

Zelda stepped in. "Hey, there, Samus."

I sat up. "Oh, hey."

"Happy Valentine's Day. I got you some chocolate."

"Ah...nice. Milk chocolate?"

"No, dark. You like dark, right?"

I smiled a little. "Yeah, it's my favorite. How'd you know?"

"I asked Marth," she said, straightforward. 

Marth, huh. 

"Oh. Cool. You guys friends?"

Zelda nodded. "I mean, we were once mutual friends, but when the whole Link-thing happened we became a lot closer than I thought we would." Her face lit up. "By the way, that's why I came here!"

I stiffened. Because of Marth?

"It's a thank you, Samus," she explained as if she already knew I was low-key stressed and confused. "If you didn't give me the confidence, maybe Link and I would have never gotten together."

"About that," I said, crossing my arms, "aren't you guys doing anything today?"

"Yeah." She blushed and tucked her hair behind her ears. "He's taking me out to dinner."

"Ooh, nice." I smiled. "Have fun, alright? He really loves you."

"Thanks, Samus." She gave me a hug (which I was not expecting and wasn't exactly enjoying because I'm not quite the touchy-feely person). "Bye!"

"Bye," I replied before she left.

Then I went back to lying around in my bed and doing homework. 

You're probably wondering, what was it that happened between Marth and I?

Good question.

Was it three years ago? Four?

Well, it was Valentine's Day. We were just hanging out. Not that he did anything wrong. Marth is a sweet guy. Perfectly sassy, nerdy, and did I mention sassy? 

But still, I didn't think he'd...you know...confess to me. 

I still remember the moment clearly.

***

Snow was falling slowly. 

"I feel like there's a poetic line relating to first snows, but I don't remember it at the moment," Marth said.

"I'm pretty sure there is, but we both know English isn't my strong sport so I have no way to help you."

He laughed. "I am well aware of that, Miss Samus Aran."

It's weird that we've been good friends for a while and he still refers to me as a 'Miss' sometimes. I couldn't help but smile at it and rolled my eyes.

"Snow always has something to do with love," he randomly said.

"What?"

"Love. Romance. All that jazz."

I snorted. "Well, my good sir, you're a hopeless romantic and you know it."

"Agreed." He smiled at me. "But what I wanted to hint at was that I like you, not that I'm a hopeless romantic."

"Haha, yeah."

And then it hit me. He literally just said he liked me.

Crap.

I'm not into him. I've never been into anybody. And we're friends. If I reject him, it's going to ruin our friendship. I don't know what to do.

"So? Do you have an answer for me or nah?" He asked bluntly. 

"...Marth, I..."

This look flashed across his face for a second. "Ah...Don't worry about it. Let's pretend this didn't happen."

"N-no, that's..."

"It'll really suck if we have to cut off our friendship over something I randomly said because it was snowing. So it's fine, alright?"

It was then that I realized that the Marth I've always mocked for being a weakling and a literature nerd was actually a much stronger person than I thought.

"Ah...alright."

***

We didn't bring it up after that. It's really as if it never happened. I'm not even sure if he remembers. I know I don't, until I end up doing homework alone in my dorm on Valentines Day. 

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I gave him a chance. 

And then I realize I made the choice to follow what my heart told me, and my heart told me no. And we're still friends now, aren't we? We are. 

We made the choice to not let it get in the way. 

Maybe that experience is the reason I felt like helping Zelda.

A/N: This is kind of a filler/Valentines Special, but I hope you enjoyed! Now we know why Marth seemed so "experienced" to Zelda. Have a nice day, and bye!