Planet Earth 2

Veronica and I are sitting in my living room, watching Planet Earth 2 on Netflix, when Syed walks in, clearly hung over as hell.

"Jesus, man, you look like shit," Veronica notes. She taps the couch. "Come on, have a seat."

Syed does as he's told and comes over to take the seat between Veronica and I. I place a hand comfortingly on his shoulder. "You okay, buddy?"

"No, Nate, I'm not," he replies uncharacteristically, yet not unexpectedly harshly. "I'm a pathetic alcoholic who can't move on from his brother's death and can't remember the last time he woke up without a headache."

"Yes, but you're our pathetic alcoholic," Veronica's tone shifts toward sympathetic as she embraces him from his left. "And no one would ever tell you to get over Ali. If anything happened to you, or Nate, or Liza, and someone told me to get over it, I'd mash the liquor bottle I was drinking from over their head."

"How about some coffee?" I offer.

"Please." Syed is now holding his head with his eyes shut, as if the light hurts, which it probably does given his hangover.

I stand up and head towards the kitchen. I don't need any more details. I know how Syed likes his coffee. I've made him many a post hangover drink.

Which sucks dicks.

As I start up the Keurig machine, I reflect on the truth of that statement. It really does suck dicks, pardon my French. Veronica and I do wish we could do more to help Syed, but we're at a loss as to what else we could try.

About two years ago, shortly after Ali was killed and Syed fell into depression, we managed to convince him to give AA a shot. That had backfired horribly. That is not a dig at the program as a whole, or the people in it, most of whom are probably wonderful people who help pull each other out of darkness. Syed just had the extreme misfortune of having a supporter of Faith Goldy's movement in his first meeting. If you're unfamiliar with that name, let's just say that once he heard Syed's story about Ali, his reaction led to a chain of events that ended with Syed being banned.

Even when the organization reversed that decision and gave a genuine apology, other attendees at the meeting had given statements about what actually happened, Syed was naturally in no mood to risk repeating the experience. Which sucks. While I know it's technically different, Narcotics Anonymous has really helped Liza.

As the Keurig machine roars to life, my phone starts vibrating in my pocket. I pull it out, but don't recognize the number. I tap accept call and hold it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Nathan, Detective Mohammed. Hope I'm not calling too early, the unis outside said you've been up since before six so figured I'd give it a shot."

"Yeah, no problem, we're all up here. What can I do for you, Detective?"

"Well, I have some information for you with regards to the case, and some additional questions. I was wondering if there would be a time this morning when it was convenient for me to come by and we might get all that sorted?"

I shrug for some reason. Not sure why. Mohammed can't see it. "Sure. Anytime works. We're not going anywhere anytime soon."

"Fantastic. See you soon." She cuts the line.

I turn my attention back to the Keurig machine when I hear the doorbell ring. I can't help but grin as I realize who it probably is. I do have to give Mohammed props for her sense of humour.

"I'll get it" Veronica calls.

"I know who it is." I retrieve the now full mug from the machine and carry it to the living room, where the surprise of visitors appears to have helped shake Syed's hangover.