Goodbye Family

"Hello?" I call while walking through the glass front door of our Markham home, surprised that I saw Dad's SUV still in the driveway.

"Hey buddy!" Dad's voice calls from upstairs.

"Why you guys still here?" I call back, taking off my backpack so I can remove my jacket. "I thought you would have left for Western by now."

"Oh, your sister let us believe she was a little further along in packing than she was in reality," Mom says, dragging a suitcase into the main hall.

"Ah, she hadn't started, I see," I say, a little louder so she hears.

"Fuck you," I hear her voice from upstairs as I head past Mom and into the kitchen for a snack.

"Language!" Mom shouts back. I struggle not to laugh. She can't drive with her anywhere without her cussing at no less than five other drivers.

I take note of the sheer size of the suitcase Mom brought with her. "Aren't you guys just going for one night?" I ask.

"Two now," Mom says while coming back in and starting to load road snacks into a cooler bag. "Your sister's been invited to an icebreaker for those with early admission."

"I see," I reply while taking a couple cookies from the jar and noting Mom's probably thrilled with the extra time off. She and Dad love being doctors. But they also love reminding us how hard it is. "Well just gives us more time to clean up if someone dies in the house while you're gone," I say sarcastically.

"Yeah, if you were any other kid that answer would have alarmed me," Mom says while carrying the cooler out of the kitchen.

Oh, it should alarm you, not that I'm proud of that fact.

I can't help a sad closed mouth grin at the fact that Mom trusts me more than I trust myself, or at least more than I used to trust myself. I always wondered if she and Dad may have picked up on my psychopathic tendencies, especially given Dad's tendency to be two steps ahead. They definitely knew I was different from the other kids but I doubt they were thinking homicidal. Oh well, at least soon I may not have to hide anything from them once I meet Dr. Sanchez. Hopefully

"Nate, clear the dish rack, will you?" Mom calls from the hall.

"What was that?" I call back, having heard her perfectly well.

"I was saying, remember who pays for your food, school and car," Mom replies.

"Dish rack, right."

"Thanks, Dear."

I start drying and putting away items, including a butcher knife I used to have in my murder kit. Mom and Dad couldn't for the life of them figure out where it had gone and were even more surprised when it reappeared out of nowhere shortly after I started my therapy. As I walk it over to the knife rack, I resist the temptation to think about slitting someone's throat with it. Just because I'm not a danger to anyone doesn't mean I don't think about it a lot. That I don't...want it a lot...shit. I hope Dr. Sanchez is available next week.

My phone buzzes, popping the thought bubble. Phew, perfect timing. I check it. Message to the WhatsApp group from Veronica, checking what time she should get here for us to leave for her birthday party at the bar. I message back any time after 5 pm.

I haven't mentioned to Mom and Dad that there may be a small after party here comprising of me and my three best friends, plus this guy Veronica's supposedly bringing. But I'm certain they wouldn't mind. They've known Veronica and Syed since kindergarten. My parents love them almost as much as they do Liza and I. Sure, they don't know Erin or Veronica's tinder date as well but they'd still be perfectly sweet to them.