Chapter 18~ The Great Debate

Edited by: Supermaaan14

Dear Mum,

This week has been super busy, but tons of fun. By the way, I loved the letter you sent back to me. I'm glad you like your new job so much. You really deserve it. Smidges is absolutely adorable. I showed a picture to Harry and I swear he almost jumped on a plane and flew back to Doncaster. You know how much he loves cats, especially kittens. After all these years of me asking for a pet, NOW you get one? Wow, thanks. Nah, I'm kidding. I know we didn't really have the money till now which is just another reason your new job is so great. Speaking of jobs, maybe I should get one so I can take Harry on a proper date, eh? You and Jace would get along great. I have a funny story to tell you...

Unwanted light burned my eyes as I opened them for the first time that day. I groaned as I sat up, covering my eyes with my hands. I had a massive headache and I was pretty sure it had something to do with the jet-lag I was feeling.

"SHIT," I cursed, tripping over my suitcase. All I wanted was to turn on the damn light without injuring myself. Was that too much to ask?

Half-blind I slapped the light switch to it's on position. I quickly slapped it back off again when my eyes screamed at me. Yeah, stupid decision. Somehow I was able to pull on the pants and shirt I had worn yesterday and stumble my way downstairs.

I entered the kitchen and sat on a stool at the counter, half asleep and unaware whether or not anyone was watching me.

Someone put a cup of tea in front of me and I looked up to see Jace grinning at me. "Morning! I see you made it down here alive despite whatever was happening in your room. It was quite entertaining to listen to."

I groaned again, "Shut up. I think I broke my pinky toe" I took a sip of my tea. It wasn't as good as Yorkshire tea, but it was still pretty good. "What time is it anyways?"

Jace checked his watch. "Our time? Ten a.m. Your time? 6 p.m."

I rested my head in my arms. " This whole time difference thing is going to kill me."

Jace laughed, "Nah, you'll get used to it. What do you want to eat? I can make..." He rattled off a list of things he could cook, which was quite impressive. Everything sounded delicious and I wanted to eat it all, but I was spending two months here. I'll have time to try each and every one of Jace's recipes.

"I'll just take pancakes," I said, knowing it was the easiest option.

"Pancakes it is then."

I watched him gather all the ingredients: eggs, milk, flour, etc. All the essentials he needed to make the perfect from-scratch pancakes. "So, where is everyone?" I asked.

"Harry is still sleeping, and your dad went to drop Daisy and Phoebe off at school. He took Ernest and Doris with him because they love car rides. It's practically the only time they're quiet." He whisked the batter.

I nodded, "Mum told me that back when I was a baby it was the only way for me to shut up too. There's just something about baby's and cars."

Jace poured the first pancake on to the skillet. " They've actually gotten a lot better since when we first brought them home from the hospital. I don't know how we made it past the first few months."

I shook my head, "Harry wants kids so badly when we're older, but I think he forgets about that side of things. How did you end up adopting them anyways?"

He laughed, "A lot of people do. Harry isn't alone in that. Their mother was actually you're age when we first met her. As a seventeen year old, she didn't feel like she was capable of raising a baby. She had a lot of home issues and her boyfriend left her when he found out about the twins. I'll never understand how you can leave a human you helped create and not feel bad about it. You already know this, but when I met your father he was a mess. One of the reasons, being he felt so bad about leaving you." He turned around to face me, looking me in the eyes.