Chapter 27

Emily's pov

"Hey," Asher says as he walks into the study. "I've been looking for you." I set the copy of Pride and Prejudice on the desk and turn to him.

"Sorry," I say forcing a smile.

"Everything okay?" He asks as he glances at the book.

"I was just talking to Edward, our families were close," I say.

"Yeah?" He says.

"It just got me thinking about how much I miss my mom," I say then wipe my eyes as Asher wraps his arms around me.

"Yeah," he says. "So did you get a message about testifying against my dad?"

"Not yet," I say. "Did you?"

"Yeah, I go in Monday at noon then again Tuesday at five and Wednesday at eight in the morning," he says. "I don't know what the fuck I'm going to say."

"Dang, a three day trial?" I say surprised. "I wonder if they even want me to testify if they haven't told me when I'm coming in yet."

"I don't know why they wouldn't. He literally laid his hands on you," Asher says. "I heard some people talking about a fight, do you want to go check it out?"

"Sure," I laugh, grab the copy of Pride and Prejudice, and follow Asher out of the study.

-------

"Hey," Asher says as we cross paths with Nathan and Lucy. "Did you see that fight?"

"Yeah, Raven put her in her place," Nathan laughs.

"Raven?" I say confused.

"Yeah, Raven and Shannon," Nathan says. "The fight in the hallway."

"Raven?" I repeat.

"Yeah, did you smoke some shit or something?" Nathan laughs.

"No, I didn't know it was Raven," I say. "I'm going to go try and find her."

"I'll come with," Asher says as I start to walk towards the front of the house.

"Raven!" I shout as I spot her and Noah heading towards the door. She turns around and walks over to Asher and I. "I just heard about what happened with Shannon."

"Yeah," Raven says. "She's just trying to start stuff. We were about to leave."

"We'll head out too," I say. "Should we go get Nathan and Lucy?"

"I'll go find them," Asher says then walks off.

"What that?" Noah asks gesturing to the book under my arm.

"Uh, collectors edition of Pride and Prejudice," I say. "A parting present from Edward, he's moving soon."

"Really?" He says. "Where's my parting present?"

"I don't know, ask him," I laugh lightly.

"Leaving so soon?" Nathan questions as he, Lucy, and Asher join us.