Chocolate Fudge

CHAPTER THREE: Finn Parker

"No, silly, you don't just dive there and hurt yourself," my Dad said as he dragged me backwards and took the place by the net. "You need to bring your power foot forward, knee touching your chest, and then push yourself forwards... Wait, jump rather. Huh? No, it's push forward- never mind." He sighed and scratched the back of his neck. "It's been decades since I did this... Do you get it?"

I made a face. "Do all goalies start this way, Daddy?" I asked as I took of my safety gear my father made me wear.

He nodded. "Oh yes, baby, they do." He said as he sat down on the grass and brought me onto his lap. He placed his chin on my head and I could feel him smile. "Back in my days, me and your Uncle Gary tried out for our soccer team. He was a striker, and I was a goalie. And you know what, sweetie?"

"What?"

"Those were my exact same thoughts." He said. "I was exhausted during and after practice. Muscle pain, limb aches, migraine, fevers and more but it was worth it." He smiled. "Nothing makes me happier more than guiding the net and postponing their victory."

I nodded mindlessly and picked out the weeds stuck under the soil. "Did you ever faint, Daddy?"

He shook his head. "No, sweetheart. But Daddy did get high fevers and asthma every once in a while. But I liked it. It was like a mark of my passion and dedication to soccer. It sounds pretty stupid I mean, who would like being sick? I don't but it reminds me of countless hours of practice, sweat and blood, and how it all paid off when we win. It just reminds me of everything I worked hard for."

I continued to make my mud castle. "Did you get bruises and scratches? Was Mommy there to kiss it? Was your Mommy there? Who kissed it, Daddy, who kissed it?" I asked eagerly. Wound kisses were practically the best things that could ever happen to me back then.

My Dad chuckled as he stared right into space. "No one did. Mommy wasn't there and well, Grandma, Daddy's Mommy, she died of leukemia." He said, his voice distant and soft and at a young age, I could already feel the pain on my father's voice marking on my chest, leaving it there to haunt me for the rest of my life.

"But Grandma was really cool. She makes mud pies instead of cookies. She plays basketball instead of knitting scarves and mittens!"

I laughed. "She sounds cool, Daddy." I said.

He smiled at me. "Because she is. She's more than that."

There was something on his face that held something but I couldn't make out. It was all confusing and frustrating that it whirred in my head the whole time. But it all disappeared. It was long gone when my Mom called us inside for cupcakes.

The chocolate fudge kind.

12:09 am that night...

"Hey, wildcat, want a challenge?" My Dad said as he stopped from rocking me back and forth when I woke up.

I sniffed and wiped the dry tears off my face. I grinned then held my chin up. "Yes, please. What is it?" I said in a professional tone.

He chuckled and rubbed his hands together maniacally. "Well, well, wildcat," he mocked, "I challenge you to put on your red suit."

"But that's easy-"

"And you should be finished before I get here with my camera." He added with a wink.

He always keeps his Nixon in the cabinet just across the hallway... He'll beat me.

Then an idea popped into my head.

I arched an eyebrow and nodded with confidence. "I accept." I said and shook hands with my Dad. "But I need to go to the bathroom first."

He nodded and scoffed. "Scared? Take all the time you want."

I stuck my tongue out at him and walked to the bathroom. I knew my Mom hides a stack of gum in the sink cabinet for some reason so I chewed three at the same time until it was all big and sticky.

I got out, went to the cabinet by the hall, and stuck the gum between the line so he couldn't open it.

Hah, beat that sucker!

Triumphantly, I went back to my room, to see my Dad taking pictures of my formless sketches.

With his Nixon.

I have been tricked!

"Hey! That's not fair! I was in the bathroom!" I pointed out as I marched right up to him and reached to snatch the camera.

I wouldn't forget what happened next. It was there. Right before my eyes. Stuck in my mind. Piercing in my heart.

The smile was torn away from his face. Color, drained. Happiness, wiped away. Life, in danger.

He fainted.