Chapter 13

Securing the hair tie in the bottom of my French braid, I exit the stairs and walk towards the kitchen. The mansion is quiet, a warm silence filling the empty halls. This is a home but it's not short of guards, due to having guests come and go often there are certain rooms in the mansion that are guarded around the clock.

There are many stories about the Elders and their council, and truth be told I once believed them to be true. Now I believe only what I know to be true, and that is that while the Elders can be ruthless, and they can be stubborn and short tempered, they're also warm, and caring, and they will do anything to protect the people they love. The very few they truly consider family, there isn't a mountain the Elders wouldn't destroy to keep them safe.

I owe these people my life, they're the only ones that ever helped me and expected nothing from me in return.

"You look better, I trust you slept well." Elijah's voice is warm, observant.

The smell of hot chocolate wafts through the air, I realise as I snap out of my thoughts. I blink, my eyes flickering to the middle aged man in his less formal clothes. To anyone else it would be considered strange to see the Elders in anything but their black robes.

"You can ask me whatever it is on your mind." I voice.

I hear him sigh, and I turn to face him with knowing eyes, a small smile on my lips. I wait for his question, grasping the hot chocolate he made for me, I blow into the mug.

"Have the nightmares returned?" He finally asks me, in a tone that holds guilt for bringing up such a sore subject.

I stare at him for a short moment, giving a slight nod.

"Only when I'm away." I admit quietly, placing the mug down on the counter.

Elijah's eyes hold a deep sadness as he stares at me, almost as if he's looking directly into my broken soul. I look away from him, knowing he always seems to make me sad. Not because my past hurts me, but because it hurts him.

"Why didn't you say something?" He asks me softly.

"If I did, you would never have asked me to do the jobs." I respond in a gentle tone.

He doesn't argue with me, knowing that I'm right. If he knew the nightmares came every-time I left home, he would never ask me to step foot outside the mansion again.

Seeing the look on his face I reach over the breakfast bar and take his hands.

"I'm not doing great, and I don't think I ever will but I am better and for me that's enough." I tell him firmly, yet softly.

Seeing the truth in my eyes Elijah is given no choice but to accept my words. If things get bad again then he'll be the first to know, I'm not the most sane person.

Before he can respond, another body enters the kitchen. My body stiffens slightly before relaxing, and I release Elijahs hand and step back to the counter for my hot chocolate.

"Argent, Elder Elijah." Lincoln greets us both, although his eyes never move from me.

I give a slight nod, not bothering to interact with him. After what he tried to pull yesterday with the surprise dinner, he's not in my good graces.

"Um...is it alright if I speak with Argent alone, please?" He asks Elijah with a nervous tone. Lincoln is uneasy around the Elders, despite being my partner for the last year he still hasn't warmed up to them.

"I think you should ask Argent that." Elijah responds, giving me a look of amusement as he exits the kitchen.

I could thank him for not speaking for me, but I could also kick him for leaving me in such a situation. Goddamn him.