Chapter 16 - A

The days begin to blur together, the same routine of cooking for the pack and taking care of the kids simply become habit. After a couple of weeks Elijah sends a few helpers, cooks and cleaners to keep on top of everything whilst the pack still nurse their healing wounds.

Anything to keep me a little less insane.

Today Lucifer is being released from the cells, after multiple fights trying to get food into his system, and weeks of weening him off the alcohol like a drug addict, it's time to let him out.

Gunner has been taking over recently due to me not wanting to face Lucifer, the Alpha still doesn't know it's me that's been taking care of him. Gunner said he would explain things to the Alpha, so he didn't do something reckless out of shock of me being here.

I'd say that I'm nervous about facing Lucifer after all this time, but I'm not. If anything I'm glad he's sober, It means I can go home soon.

Leaving Gunner to tend to the Alpha, I head down to the training room within the mansion. Given how weak the pack have become, its customary that they build their strength back up.

The young teenage boy, Nathan, waves at me as I enter the noisy room. Giving him a small smile, I remain at the edge of the room knowing the pack won't like him talking to me.

Two sets of wolves train in the room while the others watch, observing. Against my words they train as if they're in perfect health, beating the absolute shit out of each other. It doesn't surprise me to see them fighting so aggressively, they will want blood now more than ever. Wolves don't take well to being mistreat.

My skin tingles with warmth, the hairs on the back of my neck rising as goosebumps flood my body. The heart pounding reaction, the way I'm suddenly breathless, it makes me freeze.

"Turn around." A voice sounds behind me.

Smooth like the finest silk, yet deep like the ocean and rough like sand paper. A voice I'd forgotten in the three years I've been away.

The fact that the entire pack turn to the man, with wide eyes of both anger and disbelief, it doesn't faze me. They watch me, seeing the look on my face, panic.

"Turn around." He repeats with a hint of desperation in his voice.

Am I angry? Sad?

Just do it, Argent, what are you afraid of?

I furrow my brows as my head begins to fill with different emotions, the strongest one being fear. Not of him, but of what might happen once I see him. I know he's going to look different, healthier than the last time I saw him.

Inhaling softly, I immediately regret it when I realise his cologne is still just as intoxicating. Goddamn it Argent, sort yourself you!

Getting it over and done with, I turn around to face him. My face void as I finally raise my head to meet his gaze. I have to force myself to hold the void look, to not let him see that it bothers me in any way to hear his voice, or see his face, or smell his cologne.

His hair is braided although quite messy as it was over a week ago I put them in, he was drunk at the time and half asleep. His eyes are still rimmed with purple although not nearly as much as before, his body is a little more filled out no longer a bag of bones and pale skin. I'm surprised that he has most of his normal colour back, olive and bright.

As I finish glancing over his features, I notice him doing the same to me, as if putting every detail in his memory. I clear my throat, giving him a sharp glare.