Chapter 18 - A

The large bonfire lights up the night sky, providing vision as the sun fades behind the mountains in the distance. A sight that is still very much as beautiful as it was three years ago, I simply never took the time to watch it. The frosty wind nips at my barely warm flesh, forcing me to shift closer to the roaring flames without any wolves noticing too much. It takes a while for the flames to completely envelop the huge pile of wood, the heat melts the ice around it, creating a good metre or so of warm soil.

The sound of the packs chattering and laughter echoes behind me, it pleases them to be able to honour the Elders with their strength. For now they're happy, drinking alcohol and warming up for the fights to come.

For now they're a family, it's strange hearing them laugh and joke around like they're not savages. Even the Elders mingle with them, listening to the stories they tell, and providing security to the younger wolves amongst them.

I remain in my own corner, ignoring the laughter and sounds of life that echo behind me. I suppose I'm being a grinch, and right now I'm in no mood to care. When I first got here my mood wasn't so bad, but given time on this poisonous land, and being forced to stay calm, it's turned me sour.

When the moon is high in the sky, and the darkness spreads over the suns last rays of light, the wolves finally come out to play.

The sound of howls echo over the woods, faint from the mountains. A signal, that the light is gone and only the darkness of the night remains, meaning its time to begin the games. Whilst the pack immediately begin cheering and whistling, I couldn't help but listen to the echos of the wolves within the woods.

How I wish I could be a part of that again, to feel the wolf's power, to be one with the wild. To give up all control and allow the wolf complete freedom, it was utterly serene.

"I miss it."

I don't have to look behind me to know he's there, he's waiting for me to join him and Luka, Micheal is gathering the children so they don't get caught up in the violence.

"The pack?" He guesses, almost with a hint of hope.

"The howls."

Turning from the fire, I wrap my arms around myself as I pass Elijah, heading into the chaos of wolves all preparing themselves. I move through them with ease, or should I say they move around me, never touching me as Elijah is one step behind. Again, if he wasn't here they wouldn't be so silent about their loathing for me. Elijahs presence makes me feel like a child in need of constant protection.

Sometimes it's nice to know people care. This isn't one of those times.

Given that I had the injection not long ago, my emotions are like jelly, flexible. The medicine is liquid, made of multiple plant extracts such as aconite and lavender, each ingredient targets something different in my brain and DNA. It's kind of like a lock against any triggers.

Not to far the fire, a large circle is formed as the savages stand elbow to elbow. The three Elders take their place at the head of the circle, placing me on Elijah's left while Lucifer is placed on Lukas right. This arrangement shows the pack I hold more importance than Lucifer, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

"Lucifer should be standing here." I whisper to Elijah in a hushed tone.

"He hasn't earned a place at my side, little wolf, you have." Elijah states firmly.

I say nothing more, choosing to spare a glance towards Lucifer, expecting him to be bothered. From the way he's currently getting the children to sit down on the blankets, I know he isn't. Still, I know taking this spot beside Elijah will only make the savages turn on me more.