xxii | boy wonder

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO 

"WE GATHER AT THE CUSP OF THE BLOOD MOON to anoint and protect our brother before he undergoes the rigors of the seven wonders. let the blessings begin." ariel announced.

"salt from the earth." behold said, holding a container as he poured salt into it.

"may all hindrance and malignity be cast forth hence, and let all good enter." baldwin said.

"water from the sea."

"to cleanse all impurities and uncleanliness."

"blood from the body." ariel said as he took a knife and sliced into the palm of his hand, he clenched his fist and let a few drops of it go into the bowl.

"to protect the soul."

"let the fire illuminate our hearts and spirits and minds, so that all darkness and cold retire herien." they poured black dust in a circle around michael, and with the snap of ariel's hand, it ignited into blue flames.

"i conjure the circle of power to be a place of protection, a circle to confer the blessings of all warlocks. may you be imbued with wisdom, perseverance,  strength and courage."

"i accept the blessings. may i be worthy to the test." michael said.

"to our champion!" ariel exclaimed and all the warlocks applauded michael, he let out a small chuckle.

the fire went out and all the warlocks ran to michael to pat him on the back, but john henry just glared at the warlock.

michael's face went white and frankly demonic for a moment, john gained a look of terror and left the room.

the seven wonders.

guided by ancient tradition, witches survive only if united under a strong, singular authority. every generation needs it's leader; the supreme. no simple test could ever determine the sovereign among us, we rely among seven.

the seven wonders, seven acts of magic so advanced, each pushes the boundaries of craft into art.

"and so we arrive at the final test," cordelia explained, "descensum. but today i'm not asking you to perform this wonder, i'm asking you to conquer it. i'd like you to retreive my dear friend misty day, and my daugher, billie foxx, who were both lost their own battle with this very task."

"that's impossible! those who don't return from descensum are gone forever; property of the underworld." behold snapped.

"no other supreme's been made to do this ever, this is not only unfair, it is suicide." baldwin scoffed.

"enough! cordelia, i need a word!" ariel snapped.

"you're changing the rules, michael should only have to descend as you did." he argued.

"you didn't see what i saw. our world hangs in the balance, there is darkness coming. and if michael is going to be the one to lead us, he needs to withstand anything." she explained.

"bullshit." he scoffed.

"excuse me?" she raised a eyebrow.

"i saw you drop. i know what's really happening here, you're fading but you're afraid to let go." he said.

"and you've hit a wall. grand chancellor is as far as you're going to get, you and your powers have reached their limit. your kingdom will only just be this hole in the ground. unless, you use michael to extend your influence." she said.

"this is pathetic. accusing me to cover your blatant attempt to cover his life. i won't use that kid over some sad, futile cling to power."

"your actually accusing me of trying to get him killed?"

"what I think, cordelia, is that you are your mother's daughter, who i knew fairly well.you may come with a kinder facade, but deep down, you're nothing more than a weak, frightened woman, just like fiona." he said.

"with a flick of my finger i could crush your larynx and tear it from your throat.do not for one second think i am weak. i have humored you men, and coddled your fragile egos, but in no way does that mean you actually have a say. i outrank you. i can destroy you. so i suggest you fall in line, because i am still your supreme." cordelia said, stepping closer.

their heads turned to the door as michael stepped through it.

"it's okay. i can get your friend back."