A Kiss of Proposal

A Kiss of Proposal

Mermaid AU

Sixteen-year-old Trunks found himself believing the extraordinary more than most people. Of course, he had reason to, since he had seen her.

Trunks let out a sigh from his spot on a bed of rocks near the shoreline. A chilly October breeze swept through and Trunks' teeth chattered as he wrapped his jacket around himself tighter. Some would think he was crazy for sitting by the ocean in such chilling temperatures and perhaps he was... But he had to see her.

It had been eight years ago that Trunks had seen her for the first and only time. He had been eight at the time and his family was vacationing on Roshi Island and he had wondered off from his parents to explore. That was when he had fell into the frightening cold water and he would have died, if it hadn't been for her.

Back then, Trunks had been too shocked to speak much but he'd never forget her. She looked to be around the same age as him. Her eyes were dark and endless and her hair was as dark as midnight. Her skin was pale and... She was, without a doubt the girl Trunks had thought of every day for the last eight years.  

Before she left she had only asked him of one thing- to meet her again, in the same spot, eight years later. So, that's what Trunks did and now he was just left waiting. Waiting to see her and if she was actually real or just a childhood hallucination from hitting his head too hard.

As time crept by slowly and there still wasn't any sign of her, Trunks was beginning to think that maybe it had just been a dream of sorts.

"You're an idiot," he sighed to himself as he threw his head back with a huff. The sky up above was a cloudy gray that matched his mood. "Mermaids don't exist," he said, trying to make himself believe that statement more than anything.

"Yeah they do."

Trunks' eyes widened and he quickly threw his head forward. She was older than she had been the last time he had seen her, and she was even more beautiful. He felt his cheeks feeling warm as her dark eyes looked at him curiously and slowly, he moved forward.

"You came, Blue Eyes," she smiled at him. "I was afraid I wouldn't ever see you again."

Trunks had thought the same thing about her. But here she was, right in front of him! If he just stretched out his hand a few feet, he'd be able to touch her.

"Where have you been these past eight years?" Trunks asked.

"Home," she answered.

"Where's that?"

"It's towards the west," she told him. "Thousands of miles away..." she whispered.

"Is that why you can only come here every eight years?"

"Partially," she raised her arms up and rested them on a rock so her head could rest in her palms. "We're not allowed to leave our home but every eight years."

"What?" Trunks blinked. "Why?"

She shrugged. "It's been like that since before I was born."

Trunks scooted forward until he was just a few inches away from her. She seemed to like it, because her grin was wide across her face. Now that he was closer to her, he could see shimmering scales across her shoulders and collarbone. They sparkled like beautiful diamonds and Trunks eyes glanced down for a split second before his face grew hot and forced them up again. She looked at him, a confused expression across her face.

"Are you okay?" She asked with a frown. "Your face is red."

"I'm fine," he mumbled quickly. "Hey," Trunks glanced at her. "What's your name?" All these eight years he had thought of her constantly and he didn't even know what she was called.

"Pan," she smiled.

"Pan..." he repeated as his heart pounded against his chest. "I'm Trunks."

"Trunks..." Her eyes widened slightly and she turned around quickly.

Trunks was afraid he had done something wrong until his eyes followed hers and he gasped. Several yards out into the sea, was another one like her, but it was a male. Trunks could see the look of disapproval on his face even from where he was sitting.

"My brother," Pan frowned. "I must go," she turned back to Trunks.

"Already?" Trunks frowned. It felt as if she had just gotten there. This meeting was just as short as their first.

Slowly, Pan nodded. "Will you promise me something?"

"To meet you again in eight years?" Trunks raised a brow.

A faint smile twitched across Pan's lips. "By then, we will both be old enough and you can make me yours."

Trunks' eyes widened. "What?! Make you mine?"

"I will become a human for you," she promised.

Before Trunks could think, she leaned forward, her arms wrapping around his neck as she pulled herself up. Her lips brushed up against his for just a few short seconds before she let go and she was back in the water.

"I'll see you in eight years," she promised. "Wait for me!"

"O... okay," Trunks nodded with wide eyes as he watched her dash into the water to catch up to her brother. He just hoped the next eight years didn't go as slow as they previous eight.

-So have I mentioned that I have a mermaid AU? Cause I totally do. ;)