there's nothing, but us

Malu had decided on a simple ring for Kimi, gold flat band and a gem on the top. She knew he wasn't much into this, so the ring was perfect on his finger.

Hers was a bit more elaborate though. Not unpleasant, a white gem in the middle and two rubies at each side.

They had flown to Finland. Kimi had no idea what was Mal organising. He had absolutely no idea.

She talked to the phone extensively, he managed to understand a few curses as they flew from her lips in a god knew what language was that.

On the day before the court, the attorney turned up with probably the best idea he had as far.

He proposed Kimi and Malu to marry, arguing that the court would find them more suitable as the kids would grow in a family environment.

And he wasn't wrong.

But they didn't have enough time, so Sir Francis Blake made one more proposal, they would appease the court for a temporal custody until they were married.

Malu's stomach was telling her to stop. Just stop and go back to killing and smuggling. That wasn't her, she wasn't a mother, she was a killer. A cold blooded murderer. What was she doing!

But then she took in a deep breath and turned to look at Kimi. He had that small smile of hope, his eyes sparkled with the idea of being with his children again that forced a whimper of awe from her.

She wasn't big on kids, but maybe she'd try to like Kimi's. For him. It was all for him. Everything.

Malu looked down on the ring on his finger and took his hand in hers with a smile.

"It's okay, Kimi. We can do it."

"You think?" He smiled back. "We haven't decided on anything yet, whose house we're staying in, where we'll live, where we'll get married. It's chaotic."

"And yet you smile." She said shaking her head. "My house. Non negotiable."

"Your house is no place for children."

"It's the safest, Kimi."

"Too many things to break."

"Then we'll change that."

°•°•°•°

Minttu had come all in, being her usual unpleasant self.

The court had rendered itself into a ring. She slapped her hand onto the desk and stood from her chair, shouting profanities at Kimi across the hall.

She huffed when the shouting had ceased. "He doesn't even try to defend himself, your honour."

Kimi had been fumming, holding Mal's hand tightly to his side. She caressed the back of his hand with her thumb and gave him a little squeeze.

He looked at his ex wife. "I am not responding to your lies, because this is all they are. Lies. I've never, ever cheated on you. Ever. I've never hurt you or the children. Is this how you are to me after everything?" He shook his head, his voice was dead on calm and logical and Mal knew the judge was already considering Kimi more appropriate to be given custody.

"We all know how you are, Kimi." Minttu spat back and glared at him.

Malu was getting irritated by the very presence of that woman. "Do we?" She said, deciding to finally enter this foolish game. "I do not know the man you are describing, Miss Virtanen. But I do know Kimi Raikkonen. And he's neither a boar or any other animal you used to describe him."

"Don't play the innocent, Christensen."

"Innocent?" Mal said and stood. "No one is innocent, we all bear sins."