Chapter 22: Shatter to Pieces

Shatter to Pieces

Axton couldn't move, couldn't breathe.

He just stood, motionless, his eyes transfixed on the muddy earth beneath him. His body felt like it weight a thousand pounds, his limbs sagging uselessly. All the life, all the fight, it left him like a flurry of scattering rakks. His eyes stayed glued to the gathering rainwater there in front of him. He could feel the water running down the back of his neck, dripping down his collar. His clothing was so wet and freezing as it hung to his form, chilling him down to his very core. He could feel himself shivering, feel his throat as it tightened. The corners of his vision began to blur with the loss of blood and yet he could not will himself to move.

He paid no mind to the splashing of footsteps behind him, nor the frantic hand on his shoulder.

"Son, you're hurt, you're hurt real bad I gotta get that bullet out of you!" Came the gruff voice of the gray haired man.

He was practically yelling over the storm, his fingers digging into Axton's shoulder. Suddenly he was hauling Axton up by the arm, allowing the commando to lean heavy on him as he walked him toward the door. Axton could feel himself slipping, his legs giving out, his body crumpling under the blood loss. He collapsed right outside the door on the wooden porch, his body hitting hard against the boards.

Hours later Axton's eyes rolled beneath their lids, and snapped open.

Axton sat up in a panic, searching his surroundings frantically.

"Jack!?" He yelled into the room his eyes darting wildly.

He was in what looked like a makeshift hospital room. There were fluids hooked to his arm and a small monitor beeping rhythmically next to him.

"JACK!!!" He screamed again trying to get up and get the wiring off of his body.

Suddenly the gray haired man ran into the room.

"No! Stay still!! You're going to hurt yourself!" He bellowed at the younger male.

Axton felt a shooting pain drive through his back as he tried to twist and move. He crumpled backward onto the bed screaming out in agony. The man went about fixing the fluids Axton had almost ripped out and looked at the young man with soft, wise eyes. Axton breathed out raggedly, the pain shooting through his broken form. He gritted his teeth together hard, the breath whistling through his lips painfully. His pine colored eyes finally opened, slowly, looking to the elderly man frantically. There were so many questions in his frightened, sparkling, red tinted eyes. His eyes were scared. He wanted to know, and yet he didn't. But he had to. His hand's curled in the sheets of the old hospital bed and he looked at the man hard, his eyes wavering his lip quivering harshly.

"Jack....where's Jack..." Axton asked through gritted teeth, tears threatening to fall down his muddy cheeks.

The grey haired man went about filling a syringe and testing it skillfully, ignoring Axton's question completely. He gently prodded the needle into Axton's arm and Axton hissed as the warm, rushing feeling flooded his being. He'd know that type of medicine anywhere. Hyperion issued. Same stuff he'd been patched up with before, a miracle worker in a sense. Healed broken bones, gunshot wounds, and the common cold all in one. The older man retracted the needle and laid it gingerly down on the metal table next to Axton's bed.

His mouth was a thin, hard, unpleasant line across his worn flesh. His wrinkles were deep set and earned well. Axton could see the man had been through a lot in his lifetime. Even making it to such an old age on Pandora was a rarity in itself. People didn't last until old age very often around here. He could tell the old doctor was a fighter. He'd seen one battle after another, he'd seen lives come and go, sometimes able to save them...sometimes not.