Deaths

In the south...

Edmure Tully POV

Edmure was in his room reading the letter his sister Catelyn sent him.

My dear Edmure,

I know that we haven't heard or seen each other for a very long time, brother, but know that you and our father are always in my thoughts and prayers, especially in these dark times.

The death of my husband, the king, has caused chaos in this kingdom, and a bastard sits on the throne that rightfully belongs to Brandon, your nephew.

My sources have informed me that the bastard has illegally disinherited my children and this can not go unpunished. That is why I ask you, dear brother, to call the banners of Riverlands, and march on the North. Except for the Targaryen, all the Lords of the North Umber, Bolton, Maderley, Karstark, agree with me and are ready to support us.

I await your news, dear brother, and give my regards to my father the king, and I pray that the Seven Gods will heal him.

Your beloved sister,

Catelyn of House Stark and Tully, rightful Queen of the North.

Edmure sighed, and getting up from his desk, headed towards the Great Hall. Upon entering, he saw his father sitting at the big table, looking at some documents.

Edmure said, "What are you going to do, Father?"

"About what?" asked his father, without looking up from the papers.

"About the North."

"Nothing," his father replied with indifference.

"Nothing!" Edumre exclaimed. "But it' s about your daughter and the legitimacy of your grandchildren, how can you be like that?"

"My nephew is on the throne?" asked his father raising his eyes for the first time from the papers.

"No."

"Is the young King dead?"

"No, but..."

"Then there's nothing our kingdom can do. King Tywin Lannister, on the other hand, is a lion who will soon be knocking on our doorstep. I have to defend this Kingdom before fighting a war for your sister," his father replied coughing.

"Father The Northern Lords are on the verge of rebelling. Bolton, Umber Karstark, Manderley and many others have enough men to break the Unsullied of the king and the Targaryen. If..."

"Who told you these names?"

"Cat. She wrote in the letter she sent me," replied Edmure, showing him the letters.

"So you only have words but no deeds."

"Father..."

"I have found a bride for you." said his father changing the subject, "A daughter of Lord Frey. But first I have to consider other options as well."

And when his father said Frey, Edmure felt his stomach collapse. He knew how ugly Walder Frey's daughters were, and to think that his father wanted him to marry one and live with her all his life, his stomach turned upside down.