Chapter 2 ~

Kaleb's POV

It was finally lunch and I had grown increasingly annoyed that I hadn't seen Layla yet. I've always had a couple classes with her, so it was weird that she wasn't in any of my first three classes.

By the time I make it to the cafeteria Connor is already sitting at our table. Shortly after I sit down Whitney, Summer, and Winter join us. "Already trying to get rumor started about us?" Daniel jokes as he sits down next to Whitney with Jake following close behind him.

I roll my eyes at him. I know that certain people will start to talk when they see us all sitting together but I don't care. I need to meet with everyone for a reason. "So, what's going on Kaleb?" Whitney ask while taking a biet of her salad.

No one besides Connor knows that I've been intrigued by Layla since freshman year. This is our final year here, and if I don't get close to her this year, I may never have the chance. "So, do y'all know Layla Davis?"

Everyone besides Connor gives me a curious look. "Are you talking about the girl who is always wearing a hoodie and barely speaks?" Daniel asks.

"Yeah, that's her."

"Most people know of her, but I don't think anyone knows her.  Is this about her?" Winter questions.

Rubbing the back of my neck nervously, I gulp. "I want to get close to her. I want to become her friend. She seems so lonely. I mean I've never seen her talk to anyone. She doesn't hang out with anyone, and I'm pretty sure she has never stepped foot in the cafeteria."

"Someone seems really interested in her." Whitney smirks at me. "Aww... I think my cousin has a crush on her." She coos

"I do not have a crush on her. I don't even know her. I just think it would be nice of us to make her senior year a little more enjoyable by becoming her friend."

"Sure." Summer giggles. "Just admit it. You have a crush on her. Why else would you want to become friends with her?"

I sigh in frustration. "Whatever. Y'all can think whatever y'all want to think, but I need y'all to help me."

"I don't know bro. She doesn't talk to anyone or have any friends. I've seen people try, but she completely ignores them." Daniel tells all of us.

I run my hand through my hair. "I haven't even seen her today. Have any of you?"

Whitney gives me a sad look. "She was supposed to be in my second period, but she didn't show up."

"That's weird for her to miss the first day of school unless she moved over the summer." Winter says.

"How about we go to her house after school?" My cousin asks.

"And how are we supposed to do that? No one knows where she lives." I spat.

Whitney rolls her eyes at me. "Duh..." She says like we should already know the answer. "We have ways of finding out." She smirks. "I also have my ways of changing her class schedule to were at least one of us will be in each of her classes."

Connor gives her a knowing look. "So, you can fix it where she has all of her classes with at least one of us?"

"Yep." She says popping the 'p'. "And as long as she is still attending this school, I think I have the perfect idea for her schedule. Meet me in the student council room during sixth period." She then stands up and grabs me by the arm. "Come on we need to go talk to the principal."

"I guess I will talk to y'all later." I tell everyone else at the table as my cousin drags me away. "Why are we going to talk to Ms. Graham?"

"To get permission for our plan. Why else would we go and talk to her?" She says with a smile on her face.