Chapter 15 ~

Kaleb's POV

"I hate all of y'all" Whitney whines trying to hide behind Daniel. "Who even picked that movie? I'll never sleep again for the rest of my life."

"It's okay, baby. You can sleep next to me tonight. I'll protect you from crazed lunatics." Daniel says.

Layla laughs, "I liked the movie."

"Of course, you did. You picked it out." Summer states.

"We're sleeping with lights on tonight." Winter whispers.

Jake smiles. "I'll protect you, Winter. I won't let anyone hurt you."

"I can't believe how scared all of you girls are." Connor complains. "It's just a movie." Layla reaches for the pillow beside me and throws it at Connor hitting him on the head. "Hey! What was that for?"

"I was not scared." She says sticking her tongue out in a childish manner.

Connor rolls his eyes. "I'm not your friend anymore, Layla." Everyone freezes at his words.  Why in hell would he say that?

Layla gives him an unreadable expression. "I thought I already told you, that I didn't want to be your friends." Connor has a hurt expression, and everyone is starring between the two of them. I feel like punching my best friend in the face. Why would even say something like that to her? I'm about to say something to break the tension in the room, but Layla starts laughing. "Oh, my gawd. You should see your face Connor." She laughs even harder. "I was just kidding." It takes a moment for everyone to realize what just happen before we are all laughing. Well not Connor. He is just sitting there in shock. "What?" Layla ask innocently. "Mr. Ego can't take a joke?"

"Wait. You, what? Joke? You laughed?" Connor says dumbfounded. "You were joking, and you laughed? You laugh!" Connor says with excitement.

Layla nods her head , but squeal when Connor grabs her off the couch and throws her over his shoulder and starts jumping around like a five-year-old child on Christmas morning. "Ouch! Connor, I'm still hurt."

Connor's face goes white as he sits her next to me. "Oh shit, Layla. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I was just surprised to hear you laugh and all."

She pats his shoulder while she wraps her other arm around her stomach. "It's okay. It was just a little pain and you didn't mean it." She breathes heavily. "I don't get while you were so excited that I laugh though."

We all give her a deadpan look. "Seriously?" I ask her. She nods her head. "No one has ever heard you laugh. I mean it was a real laugh. It was amazing to see you so happy and to hear you laugh."

"Oh." She says looking down.

"Hey," I say as place my hand over hers "It's a good thing. It means you are starting to feel comfortable with us."

"I-I guess." She whispers. I wish I could tell her just how beautiful her laugh is, but it would probably embarrass her more than she already is.

"So," Jake buts in trying to get the attention off Layla. "What do y'all want to do now?"

"Not another movie. After being half scared to death, I need something else to distract me." Whitney says.

"Babe, I can distract you." Daniel tells her kissing her cheek.

"Nope." She says as she pops her 'p'. "I want to do something with Layla. What do you like to do for fun, Layla?"

"As long as it has nothing to do with us leaving the house. My dad wants us to stay in." I remind everyone.

"Umm. I don't know. Since my mom passed away, I normally just read or listen to music." She whispers as she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What did you do for fun while your mom was alive?" I ask as I put my arm around her shoulder. Connor and Whitney are both giving me a knowing smirk, but I just ignore them.