Chapter 18 ~

Kaleb's POV

Things have been pretty good in the two weeks since Layla's dad signed his rights away. Each day Layla seems to be happier and more comfortable than the previous day. Layla kept to her word and left her schedule at school as is. Whitney and I did confess to her that we were the ones that I had initially switched her schedule. Layla wasn't too happy with us, but she didn't get mad at us either.

School has been interesting, to say the least. No one can get over the fact that the loner girl is hanging out with some of the most popular kids in school. There have been some really awful rumors going around about her, but we try our best to shield her from them. Layla is still on the cheerleading team and most of the cheerleaders have accepted her beside a select few. Whitney designated her as a flyer since she is so small and light.

Layla is my partner for English and has stayed in Connor, Jake, and Daniel's group for Spanish. One of the greatest changes that have happened with Layla is that every day she eats lunch with all of us. She will even still food from my lunch. The second greatest thing that has happened, is she now smiles more. Well, she smiles when she is near me at least. In the past two weeks, we have become closer. We are still only friends, but I know my feelings for her are growing and I hope hers are too.

When I get home, Layla isn't here. She went home with Whitney so they could meet up with Winter and Summer later to work on a new routine for cheerleading. I wanted to go with them because I don't like Layla out of my sight but I had to stay after school for track and Whitney told me it was girls only. I know Layla is safe now and her dad is in jail, but I can't stop worrying about her. I know there is still something bothering her, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

As I walk into the kitchen, my mom and dad are having a heated conversation. I quietly eavesdrop on their conversation "Why hasn't her paperwork gone through yet, Michael?" My mom asks with concern laced through her voice.

"Abby, I don't know. I know we were thinking it was a computer glitch, but my office has since applied for several other families to get custody of a child and they've all gone through. I'm not sure why Layla's is still in limbo."

"Michael, you better figure this out. I refuse to let that girl be taken away from us. She is apart of our family now. I love her like my own and so does everyone else. Plus, I know our son has feelings for her. If she was taken from us, it wouldn't only be devastating to her, but to Kaleb, me, and everyone else as well."

My dad pulls my mom into a hug. "Abby don't worry. I'm not going to let her go anywhere. She has no other family, and I care for her too. Tomorrow I will go back to the courthouse and refile the paperwork. Maybe we made a mistake on the paperwork and that is what is causing the hold-up."

My mom looks at my dad for a few seconds before she starts biting her nails. She only does that when she's really nervous. "You're probably right, Michael. I hadn't had much sleep the night before I filled out the paperwork and with everything that was going on maybe I missed something." She smiles at my dad and kisses his cheek. "Thank you, Honey."

Since my parents have calmed down, I decide to make my presence known. I walk into the kitchen and sit on the island. My mom glares at me as I sit on the island and grab an apple from the fruit bowl and take a huge bite out of it. "Kaleb Andrew Knightly, what have I told you about sitting on the counter?"

I smile mischievously at my mom before jumping off the counter and sitting in the chair next to my dad at the kitchen table. "Where's Layla, son?"

"She is hanging out with Whitney, Summer, and Winter. They're working on a new cheerleading routine."

My mom pours herself a cup of tea before joining us at the table. "Is she liking cheerleading? I want to go to the first game she cheers at."