Chapter 30 ~

Kaleb's POV

"Fuck." I yell out as I slam my phone down on the dashboard of my car.

Connor gives me a worried look. "Who called?"

"My mom. She said that it was urgent that we all come to my house now. Before I could even tell her about Layla she had already hung up and she won't answer my calls or text."

I quickly call the others and let them know my mom needs us all home. Daniel and Whitney said they'll meet us at my house, but Jake refuses to go to my house saying that someone should still be looking for Layla. After arguing for several minutes, we both agree on letting him, Summer and Winter to continue to look for Layla.

It takes Connor less than five minutes to get my house. Connor and I run into my house with Whitney and Daniel right behind us. My mom quickly ushers us into the house. Her eyes are red and swollen as she hugs the four of us. "Thank God that y'all are home. I was so worried that they would try and get to," she stops mid sentence. "Where's Layla and everyone else? Where's Layla?" My mom says as she starts to panic.

I bite the inside of my cheeks. I'm upset with myself. I let her get away. "Mom, Layla ran off." I say softly hoping she'll hear me, so I don't have to repeat it.

My mom's eyes widen with fear. "Why did she run off? Did something happen?"

Whitney's eyes fill with tears. "I'm so sorry." She chokes out. "This guy came to school saying that he was Layla's brother. He then said that she chose to live with her father even though she knew he was abusive instead of staying with him and her stepdad." Whitney starts to cry harder as she continues to explain to my mom about everything else that happened this morning

As Whitney explains the part where she yelled at Layla, my mom calls for my dad so he can hear it too. I can definitely say that I have never in my life seen either of them get that mad before. They were furious with Whitney, but also at me for not stopping it and for letting Layla run off.

"What in all that is holy where y'all thinking?" My dad bellows. "Did y'all not think that she might have had a reason that she would have chosen to live with her dad over her stepdad? Y'all have lost your damn minds. I have never been so disappointed in y'all as I am now." As my dad continue to rip us a new one, my mom calls all of my friends' parents to let them know that it is urgent that they come to our house now.

"Dad," I say when he finally stops screaming at us. "I know I messed up, but I really care for Layla and I couldn't stand the thought of losing her or the thought of everything between us being a lie."

My dad looks at me sternly. "Son, she trusted you. You were the one person that she had faith in, and you failed her." My dad sighs, "We called y'all home because of the meeting we had at the courthouse. We wanted to let you all know that Layla's stepdad is trying to get custody of her."

My mom walks in looking even more worried than before with tears streaming down her face. She sits down beside my dad as he continues to talk. "When I found out about Layla's stepdad, I asked around to find out more about him. Layla's mom married Scott when Layla was only five. Apparently, he had planned on trying to get custody away from Layla's dad before Layla's mom even passed away, but her mom was killed during a robbery. From what I've been told, her stepfather and stepbrother were extremely possessive of her. To the point that she wasn't allowed to socialize with anyone bedside her stepbrother and his best friend Derrick Palladio."

"Isn't his dad the CEO of Palladrone Industry?" Connor asks confusing me. What the hell is Palladrone Industry?

"Yes." My dad confirms

"What the hell does that have to do with anything?" I interrupt starting to get angry with not understanding what they were getting at.

"Layla's stepdad is the CEO of Walker Technology. When I was asking around, I was able to find out a little bit of information. Walker Tech. has been wanting to merge companies with Palladrone Industry for a while. Palladrone Industry agreed on one condition."

A sickening feeling washes over me. I know what he's about to say, but I pray that it Is something else. "What is the one condition, dad?"

"The condition in an arranged marriage between Layla and Derrick. That way the two companies would stay in the family." My dad sighs. My mom starts crying more. Whitney looks mortified and regret is written all over her face.

"That's fucking sick." Connor growls. "What would Layla's mom think if she was still alive? That Derrick guy can't be happy about it either."

"That's the problem." My dads says in a low voice. "Apparently, from what I've been told about Layla's mom, she knew about it and was fine with it. All she cared about was making her husband and stepson happy. As for Derrick, from what my source told me, it was his idea. Supposedly he has had a weird obsession with Layla." My dad squeezes my mom's hand trying to comfort her before looking at me. "Y'all need to imagine how Layla felt. Her mom didn't care about her. She couldn't be out of eye site from her stepdad or her stepbrother. She was basically a prisoner in her own home with no chance of freedom."

"That's why she went to live with her real dad. She knew he was her only chance at ever having freedom." My mom croaks out. "She's never had anything close to a normal life until she moved in with us."

I feel sick. I should have known better. Layla would never hurt me. She was finally trusting me and I blew it. I snatch my keys out of Connor's hands and run to my car. I have to find her before anyone else does. I have to let her know that I care about her. She needs to know how important she is to me. I love her.