Chapter 39 ~

Kaleb's POV

She hasn't taken the test yet. She's been too scared and to be honest I am terrified of her taking the test also. With her stepdad out looking for us and us moving from motel to motel, how are we supposed to raise a baby? How is she supposed to find a doctor to make sure she and the baby is okay if we are constantly moving? Will she and the baby have to live with her stepdad? He can't take my child away from me, right?

I shake my head and mentally stop myself from thinking about all of the questions that are causing anxiety and fear to grow in me. I need to be strong for Layla and if she is pregnant, our child. "Layla?"

"Hmmm." She hums in response as we turn into the parking lot of the newest motel, we will be living at for the next few days.

I pull into a spot and kill the engine. "You need to take the test. We've had it for over a week and I think it's time. Your friend still hasn't shown up and if you are pregnant you need to see a doctor to make sure everything is okay."

She sits silently not once looking at me. As I look at her, I see tears fall down her face. "Layla," I say wiping a tear from her check and having her look at me. "Please don't cry. I love you and no matter what happens, I'll be by your side the entire time."

"I-I am too scared to find out. You say you won't leave me, but how do you know for sure? If I'm pregnant, I am just going to be a bigger problem than I already am. You can have anyone you want. There are plenty of girls pining over you." She cries. "I-I don't want to lose you. I-I'm afraid of what this will change for us."

I pull her close to me and kiss her forehead. I then tilt her chin up to where she is looking at me. "I love you, Layla. Baby or no baby, I am not leaving your side ever. I've known for a while that you would be the mother of my children. No, I wasn't planning for it to be this soon, but if it is, we will figure out a way. You don't have to worry about losing me. You are the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. No one else."

"But why? Look at all the trouble you are having to go through just for me. I'm not worth it, Kaleb. I'm not worth it." She cries. I feel the anger build up inside me. How can she not think she is worth it to me? She's my entire world. I would do anything for her. For fuck's sake I am so madly in love with her that it is ridiculous for her to think otherwise.

"Layla, don't say crap like that." I growl. She tenses up and I immediately regret getting upset with her. "Layla," I say in a much softer tone. "I love you. I want no one but you. It doesn't matter how much trouble we have to face. I am not leaving you ever."

"Thank you," she whispers softly before kissing me. "I love you too."

"Wait here, and I'll check us in and get the key." I say as I slip out of the car.

I quickly walk over the front office. The bell on top of the door chimes as I open the door. The first thing I notice when I was in is that there are three guys talking to the man running to the front desk. As I glance over them, I immediately get an uneasy feeling. They are dressed far too nice to be having anything to do with a place like this. They're in business suits that probably cost more than the ones even my dad buys, and we are well off when it comes to money.

This unsettling feeling grows more in the pit of my stomach. Part of me wants to run out of the room, get back in the car and drive far away, but there is a part of me telling me that they are here because of me and Layla. I need to know who they are. I need to know if they are here because of us. I need to know if they are with her stepdad and how close they are to really finding us.

I walk over to one of the racks with pamphlets that is near them and pretend to search through them while paying attention to their conversation.

"Gentlemen, there has been no one here who fits that description." The old man who is working the counter says.

"It is very important for you to contact us if you see them. Our boss is a very important guy and he wants his daughter back. The guy with her has kidnapped her and brainwashed her." One of the men is the suit says.

"You would be wise to pay very close attention to our words. Our boss is a very powerful guy and you wouldn't want him to have to get involved." One of the guys says.

The old man at the desk nods his head nervously as I make a quick exit. Fuck. They are so close. We have to get the hell out of here like yesterday. I run to the car as fast as I can. I have to protect Layla. I have to protect our child if she is pregnant. No one will ever take her away from me. I won't allow it.

As I try to get into the car, I fumble with the keys trying to unlock it before Layla finally reaches over the seat and unlocks it. "K-Kaleb are you okay?" She asks nervously, seeing how I am acting strange.

"W-We got to go. We can't stay here. Your stepdad's guys are here."

"What?" She says with tears starting to stream down her face. "How did they get this close to us?"

"It will be okay, Layla. We just need to leave now and travel for a while." I say as I grab her hand and kiss it.

"No, Kaleb," she says, pulling her hand away from me. "Let me just go to my stepdad. At least I know you will be okay. If they catch us together, they will blame everything on you." My heart breaks as she starts crying. I hate how she is in so much pain. I hate how she is so scared. "Please Kaleb, I could never forgive myself if something happened to you."

I can no longer control the pent-up anger in me as I slam my fist down on the steering wheel. "Fuck." I growl. "I'm not letting you. I will never let you go. You are mine and you may be carrying our child. I refuse to let either of you go." I cry as hot tears make their way down my cheeks. "I love you Layla, please don't leave me. Without you I am nothing."

Her soft hand gently brushes my cheek as she wipes away the tears from beneath my eyes. "I'm nothing without you too. If you are sure I am worth the risk, then I'll never leave your side."

I kiss her forehead before turning the truck on and pulling out of the parking lot. "You are more than worth it." I say to her as we turn onto the street and drive off to wherever the road may lead us to next.