Chapter 27 ~

Kaleb's POV

It's been three weeks since Layla has become my girlfriend. After the banquet that night my parents sat us both down and talked about what happened with Lizzy and her mother. Layla was scared that my dad was going to be upset with her, but he wasn't. He was proud of her like my mom was. They both said is showed growth and confidence in her.

Layla and I have become a lot closer and with that there is happiness but also some regret on my part. I love seeing her smile and being happy, but it pains me to know how long she was in pain and I did nothing. I could have helped her sooner, but I was too scared to make a move. I also feel like she is still hiding something from me, but I don't know what.

Ever since Travis spoke to Layla, she's been a little off. She's more jumpy than usual and for the life of me I don't know why. Travis was wrong about knowing Layla's dad. There is no way Travis would be friends with someone like Layla's dad. Layla's dad is a scumbag. He's the lowest of all life forms. Those are not the type of people that Travis associates himself with. Plus, Travis said that she looked like his friend's missing daughter. Layla isn't missing from her dad. He gave her up. He didn't want her. All of these thoughts continue to rack my brain until there is a knock at my bedroom door.

After knocking, Layla doesn't wait for me to say come in. She lets herself in and kisses my cheek. I really love this happy side of her. It makes her even more beautiful than she already is. "Kaleb, we have to get going if we're going to pick Connor up for school this morning."

"But I don't want to pick him up." I whine, before pulling her close to me and kissing her on the lips. "It's not my fault his bike is in the shop. Can't Daniel or Jake pick him up?"

The smile on Layla's face grows even larger. "No, he's your best friend. Now come on. We're going to be late."

I roll my eyes and grab my backpack. "Fine," I huff. "But if his bike isn't fixed by tomorrow he can walk."

Layla hops down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab us both a pop tart. Normally my mom would fix us breakfast, but dad received a phone call last night saying that they were both needed down at the courthouse this morning because of something to do with Layla's paperwork that they filed.  Hopefully it finally went through.  

We rush out the door and head to my car so we can pick up Connor.  I've stopped driving my bike because of Layla. My parents are thrilled about it, but Layla's not. She likes riding my bike, but I would never forgive myself is something happened to her while riding it.

As we pull up to Connor's house he runs outside. "About time y'all showed up." He yells until he sees Layla in the front seat next to me. "Really Layla? I always get the front seat. Move your butt to the back."

"Not anymore." I growl. "Now get in or I'm leaving your ass here" Connor rolls his eyes and climbs into the backseat.

"Wow! Some best friend you are, Kaleb. I used to be your number one and now Layla has taken my spot." Connor huffs as he pouts like a three-year-old. "Isn't it bros before h-"

"Finish that sentence and you can walk the rest of the way to school." I growl.

Layla stick her tongue out at Connor, and he glares at her. "What I was going to say before I was so rudely interrupted was... isn't it bros before hot girlfriends?" Connor smirks.

"Nice save Connor." Layla giggles.

"Yeah, but she's my girlfriend and only I can call her hot." I mumble under my breath.

Layla smirks at me. "Is someone getting jealous?"

"Yes." I admit. "Anytime you give anyone attention besides me I feel jealous."

The car is eerily silent for a moment before Connor's laughter is bouncing off the doors in my car. "Dude, you are so whipped."

Layla gives my hand a reassuring squeeze. "I get jealous too when you give your attention to other people."

I give her a quick smile before pulling into the school lot and parking my car. The moment my car is off, I am out of it and around at Layla's side. I open her door and hold out my hand for her to grab.  Since becoming her boyfriend, I may have become a little over protective of her. It really bothered me that people were telling her that I was only being nice to her out of pity or because of a bet. Since then I refuse to let anyone get near her and tell her stupid lies.

As we walk into the school, Whitney, Summer, Winter, Jake and Daniel meet us at our lockers. The girls are all talking about a new cheer routine that Layla came up with for the cheerleaders while the guys and I just stand there in boredom.  Yes, that is how much Layla's confidence has grown.  She came up with the routine that they've been working on.

I'm standing beside Layla as she is getting her books out for English and Spanish when someone from behind us says, "Little sister, it's been a long time. Dad and I have been looking everywhere for you."

Layla is frozen in her spots and her color drains from her face. I watch as she starts to tremble in fear as she turns around to face the person. Little sister? Layla said she was her dad's only child.