Chapter 42 ~

"It's your choice, Layla. What do you want to do?"

She smiles at me and kisses my cheek. "Well..."

Layla's POV

I put on my bravest smile and kiss his cheek. I know how much he wants to see his family again. I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss them myself. But I also know how evil my stepfather is. What if this Adam Boswell guy is just some plan setup by my stepfather? Going back is gambling with my life.

On one hand, I could be meeting up with my real father. I could finally have a parent that cares. A family member who loves me and doesn't expect anything in return. Wouldn't that be a dream come true to have a loving parent? A parent who actually cares?

But on the other hand, it could all be an elaborate trap set up by my stepdad. What if when we get back my stepdad takes me away from Kaleb? This does sound like something he would do. He would make sure to make Kaleb and his family pay for me running away. And if I am pregnant, there will be no stopping his wrath against Kaleb's family. I've been stupid for not taking a test yet. If I'm not pregnant this could be one less stress that I need not worry about.

Before I let myself wander off more, I focus my attention back on Kaleb. I see the hope in his eyes. He wants to go home, and I can't blame him. I got him in this mess. He has a loving family. He has friends who miss him dearly. If I really cared for him, I wouldn't force him to stay away from his family and friends. If his family really believes this Adam guy is my father, I'll put my trust in their judgement. After all they have done nothing but help and support me. Even with their son running off with me, they still love me as if I was their own child.

"Well... I think we should take a chance by going home." I let the words roll out of my mouth.

"Really?" Kaleb asks with a hint of excitement to his voice.

"Yes," I sigh, "But if at any time I feel like something isn't right, I will take off again."

"And I'll go with you."

"No Kaleb. You need to be with your family." I slide back into my seat and quickly turn to face the window. I don't want him to see the tears that are making their way down my face. I never thought in a million years that I would have connection with someone how I do with Kaleb. The fear of losing him weighs heavier on me than I ever expected. It's like having something heavy sitting on your chest. It makes you gasp for air and no matter what I do, I can't get enough air into my lungs.

Kaleb reaches over and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "Layla baby, please don't cry. If we go back and something is wrong, I am leaving with you."

"No Kaleb." I say with anger rising in my voice. " You need to be with your family. It's not fair that I keep taking you away from them." I say with more tears streaming down my face.

"Layla, what part do you still not get? You are my family. I can't live without you. I will never let you leave me as long as you want to be with me."

"But..."

"No Layla. No buts. I love you. I can't just let you walk out of my life. I will walk through hell and back if I have to as long as it means I won't lose you."

It still confuses me how he can care so much when it's my fault that he had to leave his family. I don't think I ever realized before how much a person can care for another without expecting something out of it. He loves me not for a business deal or because he wants something from me. He loves me because he just does.

The reality of things is I don't want to go back. I want to stay as far as possible from my stepdad. He will never be anything to me besides pure evil. And I'm afraid. I'm afraid that if I have to run again, next time Kaleb won't go with me. He will realize how much he misses his family and friends. I can't really blame him for it though. He's known them all his life. They are happy together. It's my fault that their family and friendships have been damaged. I caused them all pain and I took Kaleb from them.

For Kaleb I have to agree to go back. I have to hope for the best, but my mind is only thinking the worst. "Let's go home Kaleb."

I hate the look he is giving me. I know he can see why through me. "We don't have to go back, Layla. We can keep going."

"No," I sigh. "We really can't. We can't keep living on the run. What," I gulp. "What if I really am pregnant? This wouldn't be fair to our child. We can't live this way. I wouldn't want our child to live this way."

"Don't worry about being pregnant or not. It will turn out okay and I will only go back if you are sure."

He's right. There is no reason to worry about a baby until I know for sure. "I am. Maybe I'll be able to be rid of my step dad once and for all." I say plastering a smile on my face.

Kaleb sighs deeply. "I know that's fake."

"I can't get anything past you, can I?" I laugh humorlessly.

"No," he says while squeezing my hand gently. "You do know I would never put you in harm's way, right?"

"Yeah, I know and that's why we should go back."

Leaning over towards me he kisses my forehead. "If at any time I feel like you are in danger, we are getting the hell out of there. I won't lose you, Layla, and you won't lose me either. Now try and sleep. We have a long ride home."

To make him happy I lean my head against the coolness of the window as he starts to back the truck out of the parking spot. Him humming slowly lulls me to a restless sleep with thought of all the bad things that could end up happening to us. I hope he's right and everything turns out okay.