Chapter 11 ~

Kaleb's POV

Sleep evades me. I've toss and turn all night. The words from my mother whirling around my head about Layla being so skinny. At dinner last night she only took a few bites before asking to be excuse. In her defense every time she took a bite, she looks like she was in a lot of pain because of the busted lip and bruises on her face. Regret washes over me. Could I have prevented this from happening had I tried to become her friend sooner? Pushing the thoughts away I get up and walk to my bathroom to do my usual routine.

I shouldn't even be up yet, but the girl sleeping across the hall is constantly on my mind like a song playing on repeat. Since everyone should still be asleep, I'll head downstairs and watch tv in the movie room. I soundlessly walk out of my room, and walk down the hallway until I hear crying coming from the room Layla slept in.

My heart drops to the bottom of my chest hearing her cry. I tap on the door lightly to not wake my parents up. Layla doesn't respond so I try tapping on the door once more. Since she still doesn't respond I open the door cautiously. This isn't a normal occurrence, I would normally not just barge into someone's room with out their permission, but circumstances are a little different at the moment.

I smoothly open the door and walk into the darkness of her room. Curled up in a ball with her knees to her stomach is Layla rocking back and forth crying. She is so timid and small. I cautiously walk over to the bed and sit beside her. "Layla, don't cry please." I say wrapping my arm around her. She tenses at first but soon relaxes in my hold and places her head on my shoulder. "Who did this to you?"

She shakes her head. "I fell. I'm really clumsy."

Ever so gently I grab her chin and force her to look at me. "Tell me the truth." I calmly demand.

Tears swell in her eyes. "I can't, Kaleb." She lowers her head to not look at me. "I'm so sorry, but I can't tell you."

"Why? Why, Layla? Why can't you tell me?" I say a little too aggressively. "I want to help you. Can't you see that? I just want to protect you."

"Why do you want to help?" She raises her voice with a hint of anger.

I loudly sigh as I comb my fingers through my hair. "Because I care about you."  Also like you and have had a crush on you since we bumped into each other freshman year, but you don't need to know that yet.

She stares at me in awe for a few seconds before standing up from the bed and pacing the room. "Lies." She hisses. "No one cares for me and no one ever will. Why do you sit there and lie to me? What game are you playing at, Kaleb Knightly? What is your end game? What do you win by lying to me?" Angry tears fall down her face.

Standing up and striding over to her, with both of my hands I grab her arms and make her face me. "There's no game. I really care for you. Please trust me." I say looking deep into her eyes.

Still in my grip she throws her head back and lets out a humorless laugh. "Trust?" She snarls. "Trust leads into nothing but pain. I'm tired of the pain, Kaleb. I've learned my lesson already. Trust causes nothing but heartache and pain." She pulls herself from my grasp. "Physical pain is nothing compared to the emotional pain. I will continue to live my life the way I have been. Do us both a favor and forget about me." She says in a low haunting tone. "Thank you for letting me stay, but I will be on my way now."

I stare at her in disbelief. She starts to open the bedroom door, but I slam it shut and pin her against the door. She is breathing so heavily that can feel her chest rise up and down against mine. Our faces are so close that our noses are touching. There is a strong urge in me to kiss her, but I resist. I don't want her to think I'm taking advantage of her. "If you're so worried about the emotional pain, why would you cause it for me?" Her eyes are glossy as she stares at me. "Don't you see, Layla, I've been intrigued by you since we bumped into each freshman year. I'm sorry it took me this long to approach you, but you have to believe me when I say I won't hurt you. Physically or emotionally." Taking a step back from her, I already miss the closeness. I do like her. Not only do I want to be her friend, I want to be more. But with how broken she is, with how hurt she is, I don't know if she will ever let me.