Chapter 7 ~

Layla's POV

The bell rings for third period, but I don't budge. I'm fine staying here. In fact, I can stay here until fifth period. I have cheerleading now, then first lunch which I was going skip anyways since I didn't bring a lunch nor do I have any money, but that not new from any other day.  Then I have an off period. I'm able to calm down my full-blown crying to just a few hiccups. I sit in silence just trying to figure out where it all went wrong today. Maybe if I had came to school yesterday none of this would be happening today.

Suddenly I hear people enter the bathroom. I hold my breath hoping they will leave soon. With no such luck someone knocks on the bathroom stall door. When I don't answer they knock again. "Layla?" The voice is calm and sweet. Whitney. "I know you're in there. Kaleb told me you ran in here crying. Please open up."

I don't budge. Maybe if I stay quiet and ignore her, she will leave. I hear sigh deeply. "Layla, I'm not leaving until I know you're alright. Open this door please." She can't be serious, right? Doesn't she need to get back to her team. She is the caption after all. "I can wait you out, Layla. The girls already know the routine. They don't need me there to run drills." Damn. She read my mind.

I wipe the tears from my face before I walk over and unlock the door. I'm surprised to not find Whitney alone, but next two her are two girl who look identical except for one has girl has long brown straight hair while the other's is in beach waves. Before I can say anything, Whitney immerses me into a hug. The hug feels real. It doesn't feel like she's faking it, but then again, I've been fooled before.

She pulls away and smiles at me. "Are you okay? Kaleb texted me saying he saw you running and crying in the hallway."

"I'm fine." I saw lowering my head. "Y'all can go now."

She smiles and shakes her head at me. "We aren't leaving you. Plus, you're on the cheerleading team with us, and we never leave a cheerleader behind, right girl?"

"Correct!" The one with straight hair chirps.

"Were like a family!" The other one exclaims.

I pull my hood down trying to cover my face once again. "I didn't try out to be a cheerleader and I have no intentions of being one." I whisper.

"Don't knock it until you try it." The girl with straight hair giggles. "By the way, I'm Summer and that's my twin, Winter."

Whitney grins at me and pulls out some makeup from her purse. "You know I could cover that up for you, so you don't have to worry about you hood falling down."

She pulls my hood down sending a wave of shock through me. I always have the hood to my hoodie on, even though we aren't supposed to wear it at school. No one has ever complained about me wearing  my hoodie. Winter and Summer look at the bruise on my face and I see them grimace at me for a second before smiling again.

Much to my displeasure, Whitney starts applying makeup to my bruise. I wince due to the pain and she gives me an sympathetic look. After she is finish she smiles at her work before turning me around to face the mirror. I'm in disbelief at her work. The bruise is completely hidden.

Summer and Winter then connect their arms to mind causing me to jump, but they either don't notice or at least pretend not to notice as they drag me out of the bathroom following Whitney to the gym where they have cheerleading practice.

We enter the gym and I'm shocked to see the Kaleb, Connor, Jake and Daniel along with all the other guys in athletics in here. Whitney must have seen me tense up because she turns around and whispers, "They aren't normally in the gym when we practice, but because it started raining, they can't go outside."

I take a quick glance towards the guys and see Kaleb smiling at me along with his three friends. Connor smirks and tries to wave at me, but I rapidly turn my head away.

Winter and Summer continue to drag me as we walk over to the other cheerleaders. They all seem curious as to why I am here, but their attention averts to Whitney once she starts speaking. "Time for announcements. First, I want you all to welcome our newest member, Layla Davis." Most of the girls smile at me, but I do notice two that give me a disgusting look."

I gulp and whisper to Winter, "I don't plan on being a cheerleader. I'm going to have my schedule change first thing tomorrow morning."

"Don't be silly, Layla. You will love being a cheerleader." She says still not letting go of her grip on me.

"Did she try out?" One of the cheerleaders from the crowd snarls. She was one of the ones giving me a disgusting look.

Whitney glares at her. "No, and she doesn't have too. It's my choice who is on this team and my word is law." The girl doesn't say anything in response. "Okay, today we are going to show Layla our routine. During are second off period everyone can go to the library and work on homework besides Summer, Winter and myself. We will be working with Layla to find out where we should place her."

A short red head speaks up. Her voice is high and pitchy, but she seems sweet. "What about our first off period? Are we going to have practice?"

Whitney shakes her head. "Today everyone can take an extra-long lunch. Being that it's only the second day of school I doubt any big assignment have been given out yet." All the girls seem to be thrilled with an extra long lunch. At least I can get away from everyone during lunch and my first off period. "Oh, and Layla, you will be joining us for lunch today. We're going out."

Think of an excuse, Layla. I want time away from everyone. "I-I'm sorry, but I-I can't g-go. I brought my lunch and didn't bring any money." I somewhat lie. 

"That's okay. I'll pay." I hear a deep voice behind me say scaring me out of my skin. I turn around to see Kaleb and his friends standing behind me.

"Great! Kaleb's paying." Whitney says smirking.

I rapidly shake my head. "N-No that's okay. I'm good with what I brought with me."

"He's already said he was paying. It would be rude to decline." Connor smirks.

"Come on, it will be fun Layla." Summer says cheerfully. Her idea of fun and my idea of fun are two totally different things. Actually, I don't have an idea of fun anymore.

Jake leans down and whisper to me. "You do realize that none of us are going to take no for an answer."

I swallow hard. Part of me wants to run away, and another part of me hopes the ground will open and swallow me whole. "I guess I don't have choice." I say in defeat.

"That's the spirit." Daniel jokes.

The guys all go and join the rest of the guys on the other side of the gym when the coach calls for them. Whitney starts instructing the girls, and I sit on the bleachers and watch. They're really good. There was a time when I was younger that I wanted to be a cheerleader. My mom paid for cheer classes and gymnastics for me, but that was years ago. That was when I was happy, but all of that changed. I doubt I could even still do the things that I learned. They don't want me on this team. I will just drag them down. I'm changing my schedule first thing tomorrow morning and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me.