Chapter 6 ~

Layla's POV

As I walk into my Spanish 4 classroom, I groan internally seeing that there are tables instead of desk. Who the hell did I piss off in the universe to make my life so bad? The pass 48 hours have been awful. I had to miss school yesterday because of my father but that's not a story I want to think about right now. Then this morning Whitney and Kaleb showed up in my neighborhood. Kaleb Knightly is probably one of the few kids in this school that I know of. I don't really know Whitney, but I know of Kaleb. I remember bumping into him my freshman year. I had a small crush on him for a while, but I've gotten over it. Nothing good could come from him hanging out around me.

All I'm trying to do is finish high and turn eighteen so I can get the hell out of here. I try to stay hidden in the crowd. I don't want friends. I don't need anybody. Putting trust and caring for others only cause pain. People like to pretend that they're there for you or that they care but they don't. They always have a motive. They never truly care. I stay hidden and try to stay out of all the gossip. I don't want to be gossiped about, and I don't want to hear other peoples gossip. Everyone knows me as the 'loner' and I'm completely fine with that. No one needs to know the truth about me. I keep my head down and rarely speak. For the past three years I've received special permission to not have to participate in partner and group work. I'm hoping that they will not force me to work in pairs or groups again this year.

Even as much as I try to stay away for hearing all the rumors at school, some are harder not to hear about than others. Kaleb is one of those people. From what I've heard, he is the school's bad boy along with his friend, Connor. I've also heard that they are the two hottest guys at this school followed behind some of the jocks. Honestly, I wouldn't know. I don't look at people. It helps with staying invisible. The only two people who I've actually looked at are Kaleb and Whitney and neither was by choice. I avoid looking at people at all cost. If I don't look at them then they wont look at me. And, I'm afraid that if look at me they will see right through me and know all of my secrets that I so desperately try to hide. I would much rather people make rumors up about me then know the true hell that my life is

Like I said, it's hard not hear rumors about Kaleb when everyone is talking about him all the time. I won't lie, the rumor about him being the hottest guy in school might be true. He is one of the few people I've looked at and even though I want nothing to do with him it doesn't mean I'm blind. He's hot! But speaking of rumors, not all are true. For example, I heard that him and Whitney were a couple. Not that I would have cared, but it was embarrassing to call her his girlfriend when they're cousins.

As I continue to self-pity myself, I hear people take the three empty spots at my table. I groan to myself again. Are there no other places they can sit? I raises my head slightly to see who I have the pleasure of sitting with. Note my sarcasm. Looking up I find three guys staring at me with shit eating grins on their faces. I groan internally and place my head back down. This day just seems to be getting worst by the minute.

"Don't be like Layla. We aren't that bad." The guys across from me says. Why does he know my name?

"Aren't you going to look at us?" The guy beside the one across from me says. "We're Kaleb's friends." Great. I bet Kaleb told them to sit next to me. I continue to just ignore them. Maybe they'll get the point and leave me alone.

"Class..." The teacher says getting everyone's attention. I lift my head off the desk not wanting to seem rude, but I pull the hood of my hoodie down further onto my face so know can see my bruise. "As you can all see there or no desk in my class room. I find that it is much easier to do everything in partners or group work. Like I told you all yesterday, where you sit at today will be your permanent seat for the year and you will be paired with the people at your table for all assignments." You have got to be kidding me. I don't want to be stuck with these three for the rest of the year.

I raise my hand to get the teacher's attention to ask if I can work alone, but the guy next to me pulls my arm down. "Tsk. Tsk. Layla. You aren't getting out of working with us that easily."

I recoil my hand quickly from his touch. What is with everyone touching me today? I have to figure out how to get out of working with them, so I do the one thing I rarely do. I speak. "If you think I get high grades because I'm the loner you are wrong. I will not help to your grade at all. If anything I'll end up making it drop."

He chuckles. What the hell is funny about me not getting good grades? I'm smart, but I'm always distracted by my home life and it's impossible for me to get any assignment done at home. "Well today is your lucky day then, Layla." He smirks at me. "I'm a straight A student."

I look up at him surprised. I didn't necessary take him as a straight A student, but then again, most people think I am when in reality I barely passed last year. As I look at him, he sucks in a breath and I notice the other two guys look at me with wide eyes. It only then that I notice that my hood has ever so slightly fallen, and my bruise is on display for the three of them. I quickly pull at my hood and cover my face once again. I look down and play with my hands in my lap not wanting to make eye contact with any of them.

They guy across me decides to speak. "So, umm. I'm Jake." He says nervously. I just nod.

The guy next to him slightly waves. "Daniel."

The guy beside me who is the one that gets straight As, leans back in his chair and puts his feet up on the table. "And I'm Connor the sexy and magnificent. Also known as Kaleb's best friend."

"That nice, but I don't plan on staying in the class." I whisper. "I will be changing my schedule tomorrow morning."

"You can't." Connor says.

"I'm sorry, but I have too. Now if y'all wouldn't mind I would rather not talk." I say and shrink myself down as much as possible.

The guys all stay quiet, and I don't dare look at any of them. I've spoken more times today then I have then entire three years prior at this school. I keep my eyes train on the floor, but I can feel their stare burrowing in me.

Laugher erupts from beside me. "You're kidding right?" Never looking up I just shake my head. "Layla, why can't we be friends? A lot of girl would love to be in your position right now."

Anger rushes through me. Is he really that dense? What is up with these guys today? Did they have something to do with my schedule? How is it that the head cheerleader and one of the school's bad boys just so happen to be passing by my neighborhood and spot me walking? How come three other hot guys (They are hot now that I've looked at them.) are wanting me to stay as their partner is Spanish? What is with everyone not wanting me to change my schedule? "What do y'all want?" I hiss, no longer in control over my own emotions. "Is this some sort of sick game or bet to see if you can befriend the school loner? Why do y'all want to be my friend? I don't want friends. Never have and never will." I hastily get up and run out of the class room not caring about the scene I'm making.

Once I'm safely away from everyone in the hallway, I fall to my knees and break down. Why can't people just leave me be? Tears are streaming down my face when I hear footsteps behind me. "Layla, we're sorry. We didn't mean to upset you." Connor says softly as guilt laces his voice. "We really do want to be friends with you. This isn't a joke or bet or anything like that at all. Please believe us."

Jake puts his hand out for me to grab, but I jump back with fear landing on my bottom. All three of them stare at me with concern in their eyes. I jump up on my feet and take off running with tears spilling from my eyes. I left all my stuff in the hallway not caring about it as long as I could get as far away from them as possible.

As I turn the corner running, I bump into someone. Before I can fall to the ground, they wrap their arms around my waist stopping me. I try to get out of their hold, but the person doesn't let go. "Layla, what wrong?" Kaleb.

I try pushing his arms from me, but he holds on tighter. "L-Leave m-me alone." I scream causing him to drop his arms from my side in alarm. I take off running to the girl's bathroom. At least they can't get to me in here. I walk into the largest stall and curl up in the corner crying. I'm thankful that the janitor cleans the bathrooms so well. I've seen how bad the girls' bathroom can get. The bell rings for us to go to third period, but I don't care. It's cheerleading and I don't want to go there. I would rather just stay in here and cry.