Chapter 10 ~

Kaleb's POV

As I turn in to my drive way, my headlights alert my mom of my very late arrival. She rushes out the front door with steam coming from her nose. Usually I would be worried about my mom being so upset, but Layla is the only thing on my mind. Layla is still asleep, so I rush to her side to carry her in.

Rushing over to her side, I undo her seat belt and gently pick her up in my arms. "Kaleb Andrew Knightly, what in all that is holy are you- "My mom starts to yell until she me carrying the limp girl in my arms. "Oh my God. What happened to her? Who is she?" My mom rushes to my side, looking over Layla. "Quick! Bring her into the house and lay her on the couch. Her wounds need to be treated."

My mom comes running into the living room with the first aid kit as I place Layla softly on the couch. "Kaleb, what happened to this girl? Is she a friend of yours?"

Tears are threatening my eyes as I look at Layla. "Her name is Layla. She goes to school with me and Whitney. I-I don't know what happened to her."

Layla start to shift, before her eyes pop open. Fear washes over her and she starts trembling. She scoots her back into couch as far as possible trying to get away from me and mom. "Where am I? Who are you? I-I need to go home." She starts to get up but stumbles forward. I catch her not letting her hit the floor and place her back on the couch. I hate how scared she is right now.

My mom sits on the couch next to her making sure there is space in between them in hope that it will help Layla calm down. "Honey, you have nothing to fear here. I'm Abigail, Kaleb's mom, but you can call me Abby for short. Can I help doctor some of your wounds? I was a nurse and I promise to be gentle with them."

Layla doesn't answer my mom. She just stares at her with tears running down her cheeks. My mom gives me a sad expression. "Layla, you're hurt badly. Please let my mom look at your wounds. Whatever caused this can't hurt you here.  You are safe while you're here. Please let her look. We don't want your wounds to get infected."  As Layla's eyes meet mine and she nods slowly.

My mom starts with her face and from the knowing look my mom gives me, were going to be having a long conversation later. "Layla," my mom says as she moves towards her leg. "Your leg is bleeding, but your pants are covering it up. I need you to pull your pant leg up." Layla is hesitant as first, but slowly pulls it up. I clench my jaw when I see her leg. She has a shard of glass stuck right below her knee, but that is not what makes me angry. What makes me angry are all the bruises in different stages covering her leg. What happened to her tonight probably occurs regularly.

I watch my mom try to fight back her own tears. "Kaleb, can you go and get me a wet wash cloth please?"

Layla's head pops up quickly and she grabs my wrist. "No." She whispers. "Don't leave me."

My mom gives me a sad smile. "That's okay. You wait with her and I'll go and grab the wash cloth."

Layla has a tight hold of my wrist as if she lets go, I will disappear. I sit down beside her and feel slightly happy when she doesn't flinch or jump away from me. Using my other hand, I get her to let go of her grasp on me. Instead I hold her hand in mine rubbing small circle on the back of hers. "Layla, what happened tonight?"

She looks at the floor. "I fell down."

My body tenses at her lie. This isn't from falling. Someone did this to her, and I want to know who. The anger inside of me is starting to boil over until she lays her head on my shoulder. At that moment I know I need to stay calm.  If not for myself, at least for her. This is the most trust and contact I've ever seen her give a person and I'm the person she's giving it. I lean my head on hers. "This isn't from falling, Layla, but you don't have to tell me now. I can wait." She doesn't respond. We just sit their waiting for my mom to come back.

My mom comes back and cleans her leg. She carefully pulls the glass shard out and applies antibacterial cream to the open wound. My mom gives me a small smile when she sees me holding Layla's hand. She sighs and looks at Layla. "There's bruises in other place too, aren't there?"

Fallen tears from Layla drip down my arm as she nods. There's a pain inside of me that won't go away.   She's been going through this all alone and no one has even noticed. "Honey, how about to go and take a shower, and then I want to check on the other bruises." Layla starts trembling. My mom was rubs Layla's free hand. "I just want to check to make sure there's nothing infected or broken. Kaleb can show you to the bathroom and we'll get you a change of clothes. You can stay in one of the guest rooms tonight."

Layla looks at my mom and tries to give her a small smile. "T-Thank you, but I n-need to go home."

"Tonight, you are going to stay here.  That is not up for negotiation. We can talk about you going home tomorrow. Now go and take a shower and I'll come and check on you when you're finish."

I help Layla upstairs and take her to one of the guestrooms that has an en-suite. I show her where everything is including the extra hair brush and tooth brushes. "I'll lay your clothes on the bed for you." I say as I exit the room and run across the hall to grab her one of my shirts to sleep in. My mom also comes up stairs and brings me a pair of pajamas shorts for her that I lay on the guest bed for her.

I walk back across the hall and fall onto my bed. Thoughts of Layla and all that she must be going through consume my mind. My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at my door. My mom walks in and sits on the edge of my bed. "Do you want to tell me a little bit more about this girl?"

I blow out a breath of air in frustration. "She's a girl that I go to school with. She's known as the loner girl. At school she is literally alone. No friends once so ever. She even gets special permission to not have to do partner or group work."

"Is she the reason you drove your car today?" I nod my head. "Did you know she was being abused?"

"No. I had no clue. The only time I've ever talked to her was once during freshman year. We bumped into each other in the hallway, but since then I've always thought about her."

My mom smirks at me. "You have a crush on her."

I groan. "You're just like Whitney."

"Because Whitney is smart like me and we can read you like a book. But what does Whitney have to do with this anyways?"

I'm nervous about telling my mom our plan. I don't know how she's going to take it. I tell my mom everything from going by Layla's house on Monday, the plan about becoming friends with her, the bruises that Whitney saw when they were working on their cheerleading routine to finding Layla alone tonight at the park. My mom doesn't say anything as tears roll down her face. She hugs me and whispers into my ear, "I'm proud of you son."

My mom tells me to give her some alone time while she checks on Layla across the hall. An hour later my mom comes back, and her eyes are bloodshot and puffy.

"What's wrong, Mom?"

My mom shakes her head as tears fall from her eyes. "She wouldn't talk to me, but from what I can see, she is hurt daily. I have feeling someone in her home is hurting her. Do you know if she is starving herself?"

Could she be starving herself? I think about how she lied about bringing lunch and how she didn't want to order food, but I don't think she is purposely starving herself. I think it's more of a money issue. "I don't think she is. Why?"

"She is just so skinny but hides it under her clothes. I'm going to go reheat dinner and I want both of you to come and eat." She opens the door to leave but stops. "Y'all will not be going to school tomorrow. She needs to rest, and I am hoping that she might open up to you about what happened. Whitney should probably miss school tomorrow too and come here incase Layla would rather talk to a girl. I'll call your Aunt and let her know that all three of you will be out tomorrow."

------------------------------

A/N:  Hello!  If you are enjoy reading this story, please let me know by, commenting, voting and following me!    ~KarenJ128~