Chapter 46 ~

Kaleb's POV

Everything somehow felt right for the first time in months. I was at home with my family and more importantly I was with Layla. Sure last night was rough but you can't blame her for reacting the way she did. She's scared and doesn't know who to trust and I don't blame her. The thought of Adam and Annie taking her to live with them scares me too, but she doesn't need to worry. I will follow her to the end of time. I will never let her be out of my sight.

I stretch my arms out and hear my joints pop. Yawning I wipe the sleep from my eyes and look to where Layla is sleeping... or was. She's not here. Sighing, I get out of bed knowing she must have gone downstairs already for breakfast. Just the thought of my mom's breakfast makes my mouth water. It's been so long since either Layla or myself has had a homemade meal.

After quickly washing up in the bathroom, I ran downstairs to see my family all sitting at the table eating breakfast. "Morning son." My mom says before handing me a plate full of food. "Where's Layla? Isn't she going to eat?"

"Where's Layla?" I repeat as my eyes shift around the room looking for her. "She's not down here?" I ask with worry and panic arising in me.

Everyone's attention is suddenly on me and by the looks on their face they feel the same as me. Without even thinking I drop the plate on the floor and run upstairs. Just like the plate shattering when it hit the floor, I can feel myself shattering too as I finally make it upstairs and search for Layla.

It sounds like a stampede of wild elephants climbing up the steps as I search for Layla. I know my family must think I'm an idiot as I am on my knees looking under the bed for Layla. Of course she's not there but I have to look in every inch of this house. My family just stares at me as I get off my knees on the floor.

Fear. Anger. Sadness. That's all I feel as I glance around the room once more for any sign or clue of where she could have disappeared to. There it is. On the nightstand next to my side of the bed. I didn't notice it before, but there's a note. I fly across the room to it and pick it up with shaky hands. Who knew such a little piece of paper could be so scary? This one note can mean so much. It could say she's left me for good or it could say she went out for a walk. Yes, maybe a walk. No... That's stupid. She was afraid to even go outside in fear that her step family would find her.

My fingers fumble as I try opening the note. Eternity could have passed by the time I got the note open. In actuality it was mere seconds. With my heart pounding in my throat, and my family's eyes all on my, I read the note silently to myself.

Kaleb,

I don't know where to begin. You are my world. I love you more than anything, but I just can't be with you. It's not safe for you or your family. I've caused you and them nothing but pain. I saw how excited you were when you got to see your family again. I want you to have that happiness. I can't give you that.

I wanted to tell you this in person but I knew you would never let me leave if I did. Just know once I found out this morning, I had to leave. I couldn't put you in more danger nor could I take anymore of your happiness away.

Kaleb, I took a pregnancy test this morning. I'm pregnant.

I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I never meant to put you in this situation. I don't want you to feel like you are stuck with me just because I am pregnant. This is another reason I must leave. That and if my step family finds out about me being pregnant they will destroy you and your family. I can't allow that. You have all done so much for me. You saved me. It's the truth. You saved me when I didn't even know that I needed saving. I originally thought I would ride the next few years out and then be free. The truth is I would never have been free. I would be stuck until the day I died.  You freed me.

I love you. I love you more than anything. I want to be with you every waking moment, but I can't be selfish. This time I will save you. I will save you from my fucked up life and all of the misery I'll bring to everyone.

As for our child, I don't want them to be brought up in the mess that I am in. Once I have the baby, I will sign my rights over. Our child deserves a good home. The hospital will contact you to ask if you want guardianship of him or her or if you would like to sign your rights over too. That is your choice on what you want to do. Our baby could make another family happy.

I don't know how to end this honestly. You are the best and the worst thing to happen to me. I used to wish for death. Death is easily obtainable. Now I only wish for you, but the world is unfair. We aren't meant to be. I can't ever remember being happy until I met you. The thing about happiness is once you find it, you don't want to let it go. I don't want to let you go, but if I love you how I say I do, I have to. Leaving you hurts far more than anything else I have ever experienced. I don't know how I will make it without you emotionally.

I love you, Kaleb. Always and forever I will love you.

Layla.

Breathless. I can't breathe. My emotions are swirling in me like a tornado. I wanted her to be pregnant. I was ready to start a family with her. Did I not make that clear? Why am I so stupid? I should have made it clear.

She's gone. She ran away. She is my happiness. I would give up everything in this world for her. I need her. I actually need her. She is my life. How could she not know? She is the reason I breathe.  I can't breathe.  She is the reason I wake up every morning.  There's no reason to wake up now.

"Kaleb?" My mom says hestantily. "Are you okay?"

"M-my family's gone." I whisper defeated as tears blur my vision.

"What?" My mom says with panic in her voice.

"S-she is pregnant. She thinks she has ruined my life and now she's gone forever."

My mom rushes over to me and tries to comfort me in a hug, but I only cry more. "Momma, why would she leave me? I wanted her and the baby. I was hoping she was pregnant. I wanted a family and life with her. Why, Mama, why?"

"Shh shh, Kaleb. We will find her. She's just scared." My mom says softly. I can feel her own tears fall on me. "We will find her. We aren't going to let her go like this. We all love her."