Chapter 49 ~

Layla's POV

My heart starts racing when I hear his voice. I will always recognize his voice. "We demand to see my sister, and his daughter," Austin's voice booms from the hallway. They found me. They found me. My life is over. They're going to force me to go back home with them.

"STEP! STEPBROTHER AND STEPFATHER," I hear a voice bellow out over theirs. I feel my heart skip a beat. "This is her real father." I hear Kaleb tell someone.

"I demand y'all to call the cops on this boy now," my stepdad's voice rings in. "He kidnapped my daughter. He's a criminal."

"N-no, no. H-he didn't kidnap me. He saved me." I cry out but it's barely audible due to how dry my throat voice is. I start kicking and thrashing causing all of my monitors to go.

Suddenly a nurse comes running in. "Honey, honey, calm down. It will be okay." She says while pressing some buttons on the monitor to make it stop beeping. "Here, drink this water and I will get your dad."

"Noooo. Don't get him. Please don't," I beg. "He's not my dad."

"What?" the nurse asks as she places the cup back on the table. The nurse just stares at me with a strange look on her face for a minute. "Honey, do you want to tell me what's going on?"

It had to be at least an hour of me explaining to the nurse everything that has happened to me. At times, I went out of order but I think she fully understands. The nurse looks like she's going to faint by the time I get to the end. It suddenly dawns on me that no one has told me if my baby is okay, "M-my baby," I cry out. "Is my baby okay?" I say placing my hands on my stomach.

"Calm down, sweetheart," the nurse says with a gentle smile. "Do you know how far along you are?"

Shaking my head rapidly, "No. I just recently took the test. I haven't seen a doctor. Is my baby okay?" I panic.

A bright smile appears on her face. "Yes, your baby is completely fine." Her smile fades to a frown as she gulps, "I would let your family in, but with everything you have told me, I think we need to get some blood work done. You have several people claiming to be your family out there and demanding to see you."

Panic rushes through me, I need Kaleb. "Kaleb! What about Kaleb? He's the father. I know he is out there." The nurse's face lightens up with a bright smile.

"If that is the case, then he can come in. He is the baby's family after all," she says before rushing into the hallway.

I swear she is gone for a lifetime before I start to hear screaming in the hallway. "How dare you let him in," I hear my stepdad bellow. "I will have this whole hospital shut down. I am her legal guardian."

"I am sorry sir, but I can not let you in. Only this boy is allowed in at the moment." I can hear the nurse say sternly.

"On what grounds is he allowed in and not us?" my stepbrother's voice rings through.

"For privacy reasons, I am unable to share that information. If everyone would please go to the waiting area, I can assure everyone that this will be sorted through quickly."

With all of the commotion going on in the hallway, I lose all hope that Kaleb will be allowed in. My stepdad is too powerful. As my hope slips away, the door to my room opens up and Kaleb walks him. "Layla, god I've missed you," he says running up and kissing me. I am surprised by his actions. I expected him to be mad, not excited to see me. "Promise me you will never do that again. Never leave me again." I shake my head in agreement but it isn't enough for him. "No, Layla. I want to hear you say it. Promise me you will never do this again."

With tears flowing down my face, "I promise, Kaleb. I am so sorry but I thought you would be better off with your family, and I was tired of being the cause of taking them away."

"Layla, how many times do I have to tell you? You are my family. You and..." he trails off. "Is the baby okay? I will love you even if the baby isnt okay, but is the baby okay?"

As if on cue, the nurse walks in with another nurse and a machine. "How about we see your little baby?"

"Really?" Kaleb asks like an excited kid on Christmas morning.

"It looks like you already have a kid," the second nurse chuckles. "Okay darling, I'm going to cover your lower body up with the sheet so I can lift your gown up. This is going to be a little cold and I'm going to have to apply a little pressure since your baby is still tiny." Once the baby is on the screen she smiles as she points things out to us. "You are indeed pregnant. This is your baby's head and here are his or her feet. There are their two little arms and now we will listen to the heartbeat." The sound of what sounds like a tiny galloping horse echo through the room. "One hundred and fifty-two beat per minute. That's great for this stage," she says before taking a few measurements of the baby and other things. "I will print out a few pictures for y'all to keep."

"Is the baby a boy or a girl?" Kaleb asked nervously.

"It's still a little early to find that out. Your baby is only 12 weeks gestational at the moment. You will need to schedule an ultrasound for when the baby is 20 weeks along and you should be able to find out then," she says before handing Kaleb four pictures of our baby. Our baby.

"Kaleb?"

"Yeah?" he asked without ever taking his eyes off the pictures of our baby.

"I was wrong."

"About what?" he asks with a worried look on his face.

"Everything," I say as I start to cry. "I don't want to ever leave you. I don't want to ever give our baby away. This is our baby. I want to raise him or her with you. I want to be a family. That's if you want to be one with me?"

"There is nothing more in this world that I want than a family with you. I love you, Layla." He says before kissing me passionately. Something I have missed since I've been away from him.

Someone clearing their throats causes us to break apart. "Y'all are adorable together but I need to draw some blood from her so we can try and get this whole thing out in the lobby settled."

"My stepdad will find a way to stop the results from coming back or he will pay someone to switch them," I say worriedly

"Don't worry. I have security ready to escort me to the lab and I will stay with it until I have the results in my hand." she grins. "I got you covered, honey. Once the results come in hopefully you will never have to fear your stepdad again."

"Really?"

"Mhmm. Okay a quick pinch," she says as sticks me with a needle and starts drawing my blood. "I'll be back once we have the result. I have security outside your room and they've been instructed to let no one in beside me or hospital staff."

"Thank you," Kaleb says getting up to shakes the nurse's hand. "This means the world to us.

-------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. I cant promise the next update will be here any sooner but I am trying.

KarenJ128