Chapter 9

I thought someone was breaking in, but when I opened my eyes and became aware of my surroundings, I smiled.

I realized that it was just the noise the toilet made when it flushed. I just became proud.

I mean, in both Chris' and Thabo's houses, you would never hear the sound because their houses are too big, so I am not used to it.

Me, living in my own house, that has a toilet that flushes? Great stuff.

Who would've thought that someday I would get here. I just needed to stop making it seem like the world owes me. Nobody gets a perfect life just by sitting. You have to work to get where you want to. And people like Chris, worked extra hard.

We both slept on blankets but I promised that I would go and buy sponge-beds today. I'll save up for beds as time goes.

I also had some money saved up because I did not get to spend the kids' money when I was staying at Chris'. So I will use that money to buy two medium sized pots. We don't necessarily need a pan, we could fry eggs in one of the pots right?

Ugh! I forgot to buy eggs.

I wake up and walk into Lesedi's bedroom and I find him sitting up right. He looks like he's deep in thoughts.

"Boy-boy." I say.

"Hi mom. How did you sleep?"

"It was great, it just feels right."

"You know." We both chuckle.

"Please get up and go buy a dozen of eggs at the tuck shop." I hand him R50.

"I don't know where it is."

"At the end of the street baby, you will not get lost."

"Okay, let me brush my teeth first then."

"I'll fold your blanket for you." I offer and he smiles.

Finally, some genuine smiles in this family. My children have a choice of living with their father while I work things out here, but I don't think that's what Lesedi wants.

I really thought he had forgiven his father. But it's okay, as long as he's happy.

Well, I know I am happy. I am happy that I am trying. It's never too late to work on yourself and that's what I am doing, fixing up my mistakes by giving these children a better life. A better life compared to what they have been exposed to their whole lives.

"Okay I'm done, give me the money."

I give it to him and he walks out the door. I want to walk to Mavis' house and  show her the surprise but Lesedi will probably panic when he comes back and sees that I am not here.

I really miss hanging out with Mavis and the fact that I now live close to her, we will have all the time in the world to hang out. I also miss her blueberry muffins.

I walk outside and stand in front of my house, smiling on my own.

"I did it." I say to myself.
"I will continue doing it." I say again.

"Are you proud of yourself?" Mavis' voice startles me.

"Wh...what are you doing here Mavis?"

"You are never happy to see me huh? Why do you like asking me that question?"

"I am, but I was waiting for Lesedi to come back so that I can come to your house. I wanted to surprise you."

"I am proud of you Mmampho. I knew it would kick in sometime."

"What?"

"The desire for independence." She says and I smile.

"How did you know?" I ask her.