Chapter 62

Chris' POV

Since it's Saturday, I asked Mmampho to sleep over at my place and she agreed. During the ride home, she told me that she likes Courtney and it seems like they are going to get along just fine. Courtney seemed to like her as well. I listened to the  both of them talking and laughing the whole night and for a moment there I felt like I was the third wheel.

I'm glad it turned out alright, a part of me was a bit anxious that maybe Mmampho would not like Courtney or the kind of friendship I have with her or the other way round. I was not really worried about Courtney, she likes everybody, it was Mmampho that I was worried about. She can be rude and sarcastic and only I can keep up with that attitude of hers. Believe it or not, I find it captivating.

When we get inside, I tell Mmampho to take her small bag to my room and I will bring the water that she asked for.

I find her wearing her winter pajamas when I get into the bedroom. I remember that I bought her these. And since she gained weight, it seems that the pants are tight on her thighs now, not leaving the small space that they left when we first bought them. She takes the glass from me and gulps down the water then places the glass on the headboard.

"Baby." She calls on me as I slide under the duvet.

"Hm?"

"Why does Courtney call you Knight?" Is this the part where I become completely honest and tell her that Courtney was trying to flirt with me the night we met? No, it's not necessary right?

Mmampho is sitting next to me, so close that our body touch and she lays her head on my shoulder as we have this conversation.

"She... I don't know honestly. She gave me that nickname the night we met and she has been calling me that ever since."

"Hm." I don't think she likes it one bit.

"I hope you don't have a problem with it."

"No, it's okay." Her voice sounds flat. "What trip was she talking about?" I thought she liked her, this seems more like interrogation more than a conversation.  It's in the tone she asks those questions, like she thinks I am hiding something from her and she is trying to get me to crack and confess. Just because I haven't mentioned any of this before does not mean that I was trying to hide it from her. I would never do that.

"The one the company she works for organized?"

"Yea?"

"I took a trip to Canada in April." I say. I took this trip as part of my me time. Courtney advised it and told me the great things I could do in Canada.

I remember that I had called her in the middle of the night to tell her that I just had a dream about Mmampho.

"Knight, clearly you need to take a breather. From me, work and Mmampho I guess. You need to relax, well, take a vacation. Take time off work and have some you time." When I told Mmampho to take a break, I got the idea from Courtney but I won't tell her that because she thinks I'm her hero.

"I don't need it." I had said.

"You do actually, you just won't admit it. Look at everything that's been happening. You got your heart broken, you friend was in hospital, that whole accident reminded you of your sister. I know you think you're a big boy but big boys also need to take breaks from the rest of the world sometimes. Let things cool off and discover new things about yourself. You need a break and you are going to take it." Like always, she pursued me. But I got to see that she was right, all the bad events in my life happened one after the other and never gave me time to breath. I started focusing on myself and I took that break.