Chapter 46

On our way here, I couldn't get what Helen said out of my mind. I had been oblivious this whole time, it makes me feel very awful. So this whole tunnel of mine, karma was dealing with me.

One thing she did right is, she did not let this whole heartbreak destroy or take over her life in a way that she could not fulfil her dreams. That was my biggest mistake.

We get into the building and Helen starts talking to the receptionist. The receptionist tells us that the nurse has been expecting us.

The nurse directs us to where Thabo is and the four of us follow her. We finally reach the door and the nurse says, "this is where he is, I am just going to fetch his medication." She then leaves.

There is a heart monitor, an oxygen tank and a drip attached to Thabo. I don't know if the hair on my skin is rising because of the air conditioning or seeing Thabo so helpless just makes me shiver. Everybody surrounds the bed and I see Naledi's eyes start to tear up.

I start exploring the room. A T.V set hangs from the ceiling. The window gives me a view of the city. In the corner there are two chairs. It's a typical hospital room. Its walls are simply cream, not pealing or dirty, just cream while the floor is grey. None of us have flowers, teddy bears or balloons for the patient. Naledi has her card in hand and she is looking at her father like she is seeing a ghost. Maybe bringing her here was a mistake, it must be traumatic for her to see Thabo like that.

The room has a stagnant smell, like it was cleaned with plain water.

Thabo lays there, helpless as ever and I swear I do not see his chest moving up and down. I check the heart monitor to confirm if he is still alive. None of his limbs are moving. A bandage is wrapped around his head and my focus immediately moves to my daughter. Her lip is quivering and she moves her fingers on the frame of the bed slowly. Tears run down her face and she wipes them away quickly. She places the card on Thabo's chest and says, "I love you daddy." She then runs out of the room and I follow her.

She is just outside the room, sitting down against the wall and crying.

"He's going to be okay baby." I sit next to her.

"He is not moving ma."

"I know, I know. It looks really bad but that's just because he just got into the accident like two days ago but I assure you, he will get better as the days go by."

"You are not a doctor, how can you be so sure?" She sniffles.

"I am being optimistic, you should too. Continue to pray for him and don't lose hope."

The nurse comes and asks to talk to the adults. Which is Thembi and I. Helen is not family so she said she shouldn't come.

"He...uh...he lost a lot of blood. So, we need anybody with a match to donate some for him. His blood type is AB- and it is very rare, which is why we need the blood from a relative."

Thembi tells the nurse that her blood type is O+ and I say the same. The nurse bites her lip in worry and starts thinking.

"What about that woman inside?" We call Helen and she tells us that she is a B+.

"What about the daughter?" The nurse asks again. "I think she is our last hope." She says gently.

I call Naledi and tell her to leave with the nurse. "She is going to check which blood type you have, okay? Daddy needs blood." I think she was worried until I mentioned that she is doing that for her father. She would do anything to make sure her father lives and recovers well. She nods and walks away, hand in hand with the petite nurse.