Chapter 50

Lesedi's  POV

As I am walking back home, I see Aunt Mavis. I try to walk as fast as I can to avoid her but she calls my name and won't stop so I stop walking then I turn. When she catches up, I rudely ask her what she wants.

"I'm still older than you. And I'm not the enemy here. I just want to talk." She says with a gentle voice.

"You mean convince me to save the enemy?" I roll my eyes.

"More like understand why you don't want to save the...I mean your father Lesedi."

"He is not my--"

"He is. Whether you like it or not, that man dying there is your father and when he dies you will be one parent less." She interrupts me.

"He was never there. He was never a parent to me. He does not deserve the title." I fold my arms in front of me and look away.

"He still made you and he has the title, it's not for you to decide. And he is here now and if I were you, I would grab this opportunity to get to know him."

"I'm sorry but I am not interested Aunt Mavis."

"If your mother had to die today, you do know that you will have nobody, just him? And if you choose to go along with your grudge, you will be on the streets again? And all on your own this time. Have you thought about that?"

I open my mouth but contemplate and close it again. My chest tightens at what she said. Way to ruin my afternoon Aunt Mavis. I had a great one.

"I don't care. I don't care if he lives or dies okay? He's as good as dead to me. They'll find another donor." I don't feel anything for that man. I attempt to leave but she grabs my wrist gently, I think to avoid hurting me.

"Lesedi wait. Nobody is forcing you into this, you just have to think about it. Put everything behind you and don't let hate have so much control over you. See, your dad is trying to make up for lost times. If he wasn't remorseful about what he did, I would understand if you said no, but he's trying to fix everything and his apology seems legit. I don't understand why you won't give him a chance."

"Because Mavis, you don't do that to family," I flail my hands in the air and raise my voice.

"But now you are doing it, it does not make you any better than him now does it? And because in your case, it will end up with somebody dying, it will make you even worse than your father. Look at it Lesedi, you are your father's son. Be the better person in this situation."

She is right. If I don't save him, that makes me as evil and selfish as he is. It makes me a very horrible person. And revenge that ends up with somebody dying is not so sweet.  I don't want to be like that man, I want to grow up to be a way better man than he is.

"My dad is like my hero. I would do anything for that guy." Dimples' words echo in my mind. My dad may not be my hero but let me just do this one thing for him.

"Okay, I'll think about it." I lie and roll my eyes. I have thought about it and I am going to do it. I'll leave for the hospital tomorrow but I won't tell mom and Naledi. First thing in the morning, I am going to that hospital.

Mavis smiles and walks away.

...

It feels strange being back here today. I left while Naledi and mom were sleeping. They came in too late last night that I did not hear them. I had to sneak out this morning so that they do not ask me any questions about where I was going. I just did not want to let them know about it.

I have been waiting in the waiting room for what seems like half an hour. Hospitals really smell bad, I would not make it if I had to sleep here.

"Lesedi." It's Sophie, she tells me to go to the same office as last time and I do.