Chapter 42

Mmampho's POV

I was at work when I received an alarming call.

I have been working here at Makhele's Fish and Chips for a month now and this is actually the first call that I have ever gotten during work hours.

I chose to ignore the call the first time and went back to work but then the number calls again, I decide to pick up this time.

It's Saturday and I don't work at the shop on Saturdays but Rethabile said she is giving me an off day and well, I came to help here at the shop.

"Hello." I say.

"Is this Mmampho Mokwena?"

"Yes, who's asking?"

The woman tells me that she is a receptionist at a hospital and Thabo got in an accident. She says that I should come to the hospital the next day because he is still in a coma.

I have no idea why she called me and where she got my number. As far as I am concerned, Thabo is just my baby daddy and we are not related in any way.

"Okay, thanks for letting me know." I say through the speaker before hanging up.

Exactly, how should I feel about this? What is the humanly feeling that I am supposed to get after I hang up that call? Or hearing that Thabo is in a coma?

Let me think. Thabo treated me like trash and I ended up on the streets and well, with no life. I dumped his friend and got back together with him. Then he hurt me again. Then I left to start a life of my own. And suddenly when I am making progress, he gets into an accident?

One way to look at this would be, karma is working on him. I mean, when I met him a year ago, that's what I wanted. I got bitter because he had it all and I had nothing. What if whatever is happening now is a way of karma ultimately dealing with him and working in my favour?

Okay, I will stop with the negative and evil thoughts. Not that I am celebrating the fact that he got in an accident, I am not that cruel.

But I really don't know how I am supposed to feel. Well, he is the father of my children and Naledi will be devastated when she hears about this. Anyway that woman said I should come tomorrow. I will see if I can see him after work tomorrow. Feels so good to say that, after work.

I continue working. I think I have gained weight from eating the chips here. Or maybe it's the fact that I am finally at peace.

I hope Thabo gets better though, this will be horrible to the kids...well, one kid.

"Hey, I have to go home urgently, see you on Monday." My colleague, Itumeleng says and I just nodd.

I continue with my work until the very last hour. I clean and then I leave.

When I get home I bath first before calling a family meeting in the living room, which has sofas now. I brought them chips and a cold drink and they are already digging in.

"So I have something to tell you guys."  I say. Naledi isn't even paying attention to me, she has oil from the chips all over her face.

I wonder how it is for her living in a big house and being in a private school. I feel like that's her kind of life though, like she fits in perfectly with all the rich people.

"But first, let me hear, how has school been? We are approaching the end of the term and I haven't asked you this question and I feel bad."

"For me, it's been great. The people that know it's my second year, didn't tease me about it or anything. I love my new friends and teachers are great. And everything is so easy for me since I did them last year. No difficulties or anything." Lesedi says.