Chapter 64

Lesedi's POV

"Happy belated birthday Lesedi." Dimples says, giving me a dark blue gift bag with both her hands. Her lips are curved into a smile and her eyes sparkle with excitement, as if she cannot wait for me to open it.

The park is empty, you would not even think that it's the thirty first today. But I'm not complaining, I prefer it this way and it's too perfect since Dimples is besides me.

My birthday was six days ago and it was so great. I woke up to a delicious breakfast. My mom had made toast, omelette, slices of tomatoes, bacon and bought dunked wings from KFC. She knew how much I liked those so she wouldn't dare leave them out.  I savored each and every one of them. That was by far the best birthday I've ever had and the day hadn't even started.

My sister got me a pair of sneakers, a black and white Vans. Of course she would, she's the rich kid now. I loved them. I told her how thankful I was. She then gave me a sappy speech about how she loves me and that it's normal for siblings to fight just as we fight so it doesn't mean she loves me any less.

My mom talked about how fifteen years ago, on that day was the best day of her life. She was happy that she had brought new life on earth, even though I was not planned. I'm fifteen years old, finally.

My dad came later that day.

"I may have disappointed you and was not present for ten years of your life and this is the first birthday that I get to spend with you as a teenager. You have grown so much. I'm sorry that I've failed you but I promise to spend my whole life making up for it. I love you so much son." He said and took me in for a hug. For men, we looked pathetic at that point. My mother used her brand new phone to take a picture of that moment.

I was quite disappointed that he did not get me a gift but he asked if we could go to Gold Reef City together. Naledi asked to come but my dad said it's my turn to milk his money. I'm glad that his injuries healed just in time for my birthday. He still limps as he walks though and he chose to leave the crutch on my birthday. I felt really special because of that. I am glad I chose to forgive him and let him in. I don't think he is going to disappoint me this time around.

We went to the amusement park and I went on all the rides. I started with the Anaconda- my dad suggested that we start with it because it's the scariest of them all.

I sat in the ride, and my dad sat just next to me. The worker there helped set us up and I was ready to go. I looked over to my dad and smiled. He looked rather anxious. It's like he was about to throw up and we hadn't even started.

The ride slowly went up, up, up and every time it moved higher my dad's breathing got louder. I turned in shock, wondering what's going on. He looked so anxious, like he was telling himself that it's going to be alright and he must calm down. He closed his eyes and I chose to look upfront.

The ride reached its peak and I swear my dad was about to lose it. Here it goes... the ride moved very fast. I shut my eyes and my dad's screaming was ear-splitting. I screamed because I liked it. Within split seconds, the ride made a dead-stop and my body rose a little from the seat. The worker pressed a button that set us free and I removed the... I don't know what you call it but they put it in front of your body for protection and safety.

We got off and I heard my dad release a breath of relief.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yea...yea I am." Even a four-year old would not buy that. I think he saw that I did not believe him so he said, "I'm terrified of heights."  He pursed his lips, embarrassed to have to said that out loud.
I could not help but burst in laughter, increasing his embarrassment I bet.