Chapter 21

Mmampho's POV

This Christmas Eve is the best compared to the ones I have had with just my children. And even though a little white lie has invaded it, I think I should focus on the goodness of it. On this Christmas Eve, I feel so very blessed. I am thankful for the health of my children and the happiness we have. Even though we are not spending it at our actual house, it puts a smile on my face to know that even if Thabo switches up on me right now and aborts our plan, I know I have home to run to. My house. So that's something to be thankful for.

Clouds dominate the morning sky, leaving transitory patches of blue. Though they are mostly white, there is a hint of greyness, a sign that rain might fall during the course of the day.

I woke up early this morning to try out the recipe Mavis gave me for the blueberry muffins, obviously . The first tray tasted awful, which was shocking because I used a ready-mixed dough. I have no idea what I did wrong. But the second was out of this world, it tasted great.

The smile on my face after I devoured the delectable freshly baked muffins was priceless. A moan escaped my mouth as I slowly chewed it. I finally did it, mastered baking my favorite muffins and I did not even need coaching.

I offered to cook tomorrow's lunch but as for today, we are ordering in.

Mom and Thabo descend the stairs laughing aloud. Okay, I wonder what that is about. My mom sits in the lounge just after greeting me and Thabo comes to grab an apple in the kitchen.

When he passes by me, he whispers, "to think I used to be afraid of this woman." He then tosses his apple in the air and winks at me and I roll my eyes at him.

"The kitchen smells good." My mother says.

"For a change." I tease Thabo.

"What do you mean?" My mother asks and I just noticed how I kind of just exposed myself.

"Yes ma, ask her what she means."

"Uh...thing is Thabo does not like blueberry so I never make these muffins because of him and blueberry smells divine, he just won't admit it." Improvisation honey. I deserve a round of applause for that one.

Thabo has his eyes widened, I bet he is shocked as to how I came up with that in three seconds.

"Oh, okay." She replies.

"Granny, let's take a walk in the garden." Naledi says to my mother.

"Okay." The three of them, including Lesedi exit the house and I am left with Thabo in the house.

"You conniving woman."

"What?" I drink the glass of water that I poured for myself a few minutes ago.

"How did you do it? Think of a lie at the top of your head like that?"

"You know the saying, 'practice makes perfect'? Did you know it is true?" I laugh, clearly showing pride in how much of a liar I am.

"Wow!"

"What? I had to lie to my parents every time to meet you. I guess, I got used to doing it so much that it just comes to me naturally now." I chuckle, his confused facial expression is what causes me to laugh again.

"So you're blaming me?"

"Not quite but that's where it all started." I pause. "When I fell in love for the first time." I throw the dishcloth at him.