III. Back home

"Ava, are you home?" her mom asked as soon she opened the front door.

Ava closed her eyes and sighed.

"Is this normal?" she thought. "Why does she have to ask every time?"

"Ava?" her mom insisted.

"Yes, mom!" she finally answered, running up to her bedroom.

Ava didn't want to cross paths with her mom, because she didn't want her to ask uncomfortable questions like: how was your day. To be honest, her day was awful. Everything annoyed her. Everything felt pointless.

"Ava? Is everything alright?" her mom asked anyway.

"Not now, mom!" she said in a harsh tone.

Ava didn't want to be rude. She had been craving a moment of peace since she woke up. That was all.

Finally, in her bedroom, she dropped her purse on the floor close to the door and faced the big mirror on the wall.

"You look so tired," she said to herself, "physically and mentally," she added in thought. Then her eyes locked on her bed and she stumbled on the clothes on the floor as she made her way towards it, until she finally reached the bed.

She knew she had to clean up, but in that moment, it seemed pointless. She just couldn't find any reason to keep her bedroom clean nor her clothes. Especially, her clothes. There were too many memories attached to them, since she used to dress herself up for him. Just for him, expecting to please him and receive a compliment about how pretty she looked.

"He was perfect..."

Ava hugged her pillow to stop her thoughts from engulfing her. "I miss him..." A tear formed and rolled down her cheek as she couldn't stop picturing him at her side, smiling at her. She sees it clearly. The wide smile, the shinning eyes of an innocent boy. And his hand stroking her hair.

"Damn! Stop, Ava!"

The clock made an annoying sound. It was dinner time.

"Time has flown by," she protested.

Her mom would be calling her for dinner anytime now, putting an end to her brief moment of solace, but she wasn't ready for it to be over.

She sighed deeply, feeling like that was everything she had been doing since the horrible moment her relationship just ended.

She picked up her phone, closed her eyes and desperately wished to see a message from him.

"No messages"

She crumbled, using her pillow to silence her pain.