XXI. Company's psychologist 4

"So, Ava, what’s been going on with you since our last session?"

"Not much", she answered, sounding dismissive and cold.

"Mm", the psychologist murmured, inquietly. "Please, tell me more about that not much."

"Paul, honestly, I don't feel like talking about it today."

"You mean you don’t feel like talking about Julien?"

After hearing that name, she closed her eyes and turned her head down. She pretended something got on her eye. When she looked up again, she said in a flat tone: "I actually feel better about that subject".

"You have to forgive me, but I must ask, why the sudden change of heart?"

"I spent some time thinking and it feels like I have been wasting time. I should focus on my job and make my goals become a reality. It's about time I get at least a promotion."

"I understand", Paul stared at Ava, and saw those weren’t empty words. Her behavior and even her appearance were different. She seemed like she was taking care of herself again. "How are the sleep issues, are you still taking sleeping pills?"

Ava’s expression changed suddenly. Her eyes went back to the floor and she ran her hand through her chest until it reached her neck, she let her hand rest on her nape for a moment.

"Ava?", Paul insisted.

"Yes, I do, just for prevention."

"What are you trying to prevent?"

"I don't know. I'm just taking them until the next weekend. It should be enough", she tried to make it sound like a joke.

"Very well, Ava. It's good. Actually, it's great to hear you are feeling better."

Ava gave him a shy smile.

"So, if you don't have anything to discuss with me, I'm afraid our time is done for today."

"For today?", Ava interrupted.

"Yes, for today. I'm sure you don't mind just a couple of more sessions to keep me updated. Especially if you keep bringing me good news like this. It's great to hear that you are keeping your emotions in check and moving on."

Ava smiled again. This time, the smile faded almost immediately. There was something about Paul's words that made her feel uncomfortable. She couldn't quite tell if it was because of his tone, his expression or because of herself.

"Thank you, Paul."

"My pleasure", he said, opening his office's door to let her through. "Hope you have an amazing day!"