XVII. Mishap

"Is he...? Could he...?"

All Ava's questions would start that way, but she would never have an answer. She was hoping she would be able to see for herself what was actually going on.

Ava had it all planned out. She would reach the house and park just out of sight in. There she was going to wait, staring at the balcony, expecting to find him doing what he always did. Drink a hot tea, facing the sea. Maybe accompanied.

As she got closer and closer, the burst of courage she had before was fading, and the possibility of seeing him with another girl just made her question her actions.

"Maybe I shouldn't go there... why do I need to know?"

Indeed, why?

She tried to convince herself to stop and go back. If Julien was with another woman, what difference would it make? He wasn't hers anymore.

"I lost him. I should just accept it. No matter if I was just another on his list... Why should It matter?", stuck in that last thought, she crumbled like every other time these questions overwhelmed her. So, she brought the car to a screeching stop in the middle of the road. It wasn't possible for her to control her emotions anymore. The pain she felt drowned out all her reasoning.

"Why can't I just act like a normal person and let him go? I'm being crazy...", she tried to fight all those feelings running through her. "How can I be normal?"

Others cars started honking to make Ava to get out of the way. But she couldn’t listen. Not the horns, not the insults of angry drivers, nothing. All she heard were her own thoughts and all she felt was this immense pressure, driving her head down into her hands.

But the inevitable happened: a policeman knocked on her window car.

"Miss, are you all right?", the policeman started, hesitating. He should introduce himself before starting an interaction, but before him was a woman crying... what should he do? He felt a little uncomfortable, he wasn’t used to dealing with crying women. Especially not in the middle of the road.

Ava, submerse in her doubts, under the barrage of emotions didn't hear him knocking or his call. She was stuck in her seat, like it was her own battlefield, where reason was wearing a weak armor, trying to win an unfair battle against a deep feeling of pain.

The policeman, with a fierce and deep frown, gestured the cars to go around and made sure the honking stopped. So intense was his gaze, some of the drivers thought someone had died in that car. Finally, when traffic cleared and there was silence, the policeman, insisted and knocked again on her window car: "Miss, I’m going to call tow truck. Is there anything I can do to help you while we wait?"

Ava, free of the assault on her senses from the angry drivers and their infernal honks, raised her face and looked to the window looking complete lost. Like she had just woken up from a terrifying nightmare.

The policeman taken aback by her red eyes and seeing all the color drained from her face, asked her: "Miss, we need to move your car out of the way. Is there anywhere I can take you?"

"Can you take me to the truth?"