XLI. Foreshadowing

It was still early in the morning. Ava was in the street, making her way to her office when she heard someone calling out to her: "I know who it was Ava, I have his name!", Phoebe was screaming while running towards Ava.

Ava stopped in her tracks. She had always known Phoebe was a little eccentric, but this was out of character even for her!

"Did she get mugged or something?", Ava thought, waiting for Phoebe to catch up with her.

"The unknown, the nobody!", she said, finally reaching Ava and trying to catch her breath.

"What?!"

"Oh hun, you won't believe me."

"Phoebe, come on, what are you talking about? Whose name?"

"The shareholder who first proposed your name for the promotion. I found out his name and after some searching, I found something rather strange, it seems like he has another job, he is a grounds keeper in a mansion. A mansion that belongs to the Bardi family."

"What?", Ava couldn't believe in what she heard.

"I know! What the hell is going on here, right?"

"Why would a grounds keeper have shares in our company? This is just so weird!"

"It gets weirder, I did some digging and I can't even find his address, no profile, nothing. The guy is a ghost. Apart from the record that states his job at the mansion, it’s like he doesn’t even exist! You must have been at some of their mansions back when you were with Julien, do you remember seeing anyone that looked strange?"

"I don’t think so Phoebe. If I’m being honest, we didn’t interact much with any of the staff from Bardi's mansions. All we did was attend some of their dinner parties, and those were usually so filled with guests I couldn’t even breathe, let alone notice people. Also, Julien would always drag me to some secluded place in the mansion for a quick… Getaway..." Ava took a breath. "Which more often than not, turned out to be everything but quick.."

Ava looked up at the sky, in an attempt to stop thinking about Julien and how he kept popping up in her life like a curse. An enthralling curse, but still a curse.

"Ok, ok, I get the picture. But this has to mean something. We need to find this grounds keeper and ask him why he suggested your promotion."

"Are you sure we should do that?", Ava asked.

"Aren't you curious? Because I am, especially after what you told me about Mary. That was clearly a hint. I’m sure she was telling you to dig into it. And if you won't do it for yourself, I'll do it hun!"

Ava sighed.

"I guess you’re right. Let’s go hunt a ghost!"