XLVII. Inside the box

"All of that trouble for a box? I thought we’d at least get an explanation.", Phoebe grumbled, while the two quickly exited the old lady' house.

"Let’s see what’s inside it before jumping to conclusions.", Ava replied, stopping besides Phoebe’s car to take a look at the box. "What does this mean? The only thing inside is a picture of Julien."

"What the hell? Julien again? I mean, we already know that Julien is... ah!", Phoebe pretended to have to clear her throat before completing what she intended to say.

Ava raised an eyebrow. Phoebe’s behavior was a little off.

"You know, he’s Julien."

"Yes, that he is...", Ava thought that maybe Phoebe just didn't want to insult her former lover and also their new boss, which sounded reasonable. "But that doesn't explain why Tobias left me a box with a picture of Julien inside."

"Yeah, I know, hun. It makes no sense; we already know Julien isn't the best person in the world."

"Yes, he isn't...", Ava agreed in a sad tone.

"Come on, gurl... You’re doing great lately. Let's just close that stupid box and put it away."

"I know, and you’re right, but as you said before... all of that trouble for a picture of Julien?"

"All of this is starting to look like some kind of joke or prank. Maybe Tobias or whatever is getting a kick out of us running around. And, honestly, you did deserve this promotion, no matter how you got it. Let’s just go home and you can tuck that box away somewhere until you are ready to burn it."

"Burn it...", Ava sighed, as she sat back in the car. Phoebe could easily tell that Ava was still holding on to her feelings for Julien.

"Yes hun, you should burn it. When you’re ready."

"I’m just going to forget all about this and focus on my work.", Ava said to reassure herself, as well as Phoebe. Despite that, she couldn’t shake the feeling that this was not over. It couldn't be. Why would someone leave her a picture of Julien and seemingly disappear? How could a grounds keeper be a shareholder at their company, and most of all, why would he recommend Ava for a promotion? These questions would remain in her mind until she found out the truth.

Phoebe sat on driver's seat, getting ready to get back on the road and leave that place. And not a moment too soon in her opinion, that old lady and that house were definitely odd.

"That’s my gurl! Focus on your job and this’ll all blow over soon!"

"I will...", Ava smiled weakly.

"As soon as we hit the road, we are moving on from all of this. No more talk about this awful prank. There are some people who clearly need to get a life."

Ava gazed at Phoebe for a while.

"Is this what you really believe in, Phoebe? Bored people just playing a prank?", Ava thought to herself. She found that hard to believe, but secretly, she hoped Phoebe was right.

"Let’s get back home. I need to get started on this month’s report."