Chap. 3: What More Could I Lose?

(Picture of Emily East's apartment above)

         Emily paces her apartment floor, her heart racing. A cruel dilemma at her fingertips.

"Mr. Hardon said WHAT?" Kaley Fields, a fellow reporter of the Daily Delilah, says in shock, "That's low, even for him!"

        Jasmin Jackson, a reporter for the Knightly News, shrugs. "It's actually not that bad of an idea.

Both Emily and Kaley turn to their friend and fellow coworker in shock. Heat rises in Emily's chest, her heart and mind torn between chance and logic.

"Have you lost your mind?" Kaley says sharply, "That's low and dangerous grounds for Em."

"Why? He hurt you, didn't he? He cast you out over lies when you gave the dumbass nothin' to cast you out before!" Jasmin says annoyed, "If I was in your shoes, Emmy, I'd go right ahead and stab him where it hurts the most!"

"Well." Kaley says in a cocky voice, "Did you ever stop and think of what could happen? That maybe he's still an idiot and believes that she cheated on him when Em had NOT?!"

"Girl—" Jasmin shakes her head annoyed at her friend.

"I can't do it." Emily shakes her head, speaking softly. "I can't look him in the eyes again."

"Yes, you can." Jasmin says softer, glaring at Kaley. "That bitch ass deserves to be treated like an asswipe!"

Emily goes out to her balcony, deep in thought. She watches the people walking in the streets below. So carefree and without.

"You know, four maybe three months ago, if Christian had called, I'd come running back to him." Emily says with tears in her eyes, "God! I loved Christian! I loved him and I would have done anything for him if he'd just asked. But all I was-was just young pussy to him!"

Both girls eyes widen at Emily's words. Both, of course, for different reasons. Jasmin claps her hands, excitement in her eyes. Kaley looks between the both of them horrified.

"Yassss, Queen!" Jasmin shouts while clapping her hands on every syllable. "You get back at his ass! You a fine ass woman who knows how to serve revenge!"

Kaley rolls her eyes. "Emily, don't do this. This is Christian we're talking about. You remember him, right? The man who got BOTH of us fired from Stormy Column's! The man who broke your heart and ruined your life over a stupid picture! The man who—who you trusted enough to give your virginity to and he took it without asking?"

Jasmin gives Kaley a shocked look. "Damn gurrrllll! And you let motherfricker wall away? Damn. Just damn."

Emily tunes her friends out. The soft memories of when she felt the most secure and safe flash through her mind. When the brunette would wake up screaming at night over the horrors and Christian would be there to save her from her own mind by whispering a few tender words in her ear. Or when she had felt nothing but bliss for hours in Christian's arms as they made passionate love during a roaring thunderstorm. She faintly smiles at the memory of the day he asked her to move in with him. How confident and sure he was about her answering "yes".

But Emily's smiles faded at the bad memories as well. How she felt when she was out with him when he had to play "the part". How his private schools and top-notch university degrees made her feel insecure for barely passing two semesters at a local community college. How Christian would sometimes lose his temper and scare the snot out of Emily. How she had NO privacy whatsoever because he always wanted to make sure she was being watched.

         And yet, Emily thinks smugly to herself, he still had the nerve to accuse me of cheating on him!

           "But what if I can't do it? What if I lose all my senses and spill the truth? Christian will probably have me exiled." Emily says worriedly, crossing her arms.

               "Can he do that?" Jasmin says confused.

             Both Emily and Kaley turn to their friend, speaking in unison. "Yes."

            Jasmin sighs heavily. "Then make it part of the game, Emmy. Make it part of the game where you're just an innocent girl who is in dire need of a big, strong man because she's being blackmailed. He'll be eating out of your hands—or panties."

           Both Emily and Kaley roll their eyes. But the brunette goes over to her balcony door and stares out in thought.

            What more could I lose?

                • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

       After Kaley left to go dig up her own story, Emily called Mr. Hardon. He informed her that he already scheduled an interview with Mr. Taylor himself the following day. Jasmin coached Emily on how to present herself in the interview and gave her questions to ask. Also, Jasmin made Emily wear the same outfit she wore the day she met Christian. To remind him of a more simple Emily than the one he thinks of now.