Chap. 12: I Want To Make A Business Deal

Anxiety eats at Emily. Dear Lord, does Christian know my intentions?

Emily clears her throat. "Oh..that's a different way to look at mind reading."

Christian nods. "I have thought about that question more times than I would like to admit."

Emily smiles at Christian, hoping to stir him off the topic. "You spoke of wanting to spend more time to find your life's partner. Can you further explain that, Mr. Taylor?"

Christian smirks at Emily. "I've gotten to the point in my life where I've realized that I've wasted my entire life by becoming a workaholic. Of course, I wouldn't have this multi-dollar company if I hadn't spent all those years building my fortune." Christian takes a sip of his water before continuing. "I've already got enough money to last me and my next 10 generations a lifetime without worrying about running out of money. I want to find a new adventure to add onto my life: companionship."

"And have you found the companionship you desire?" Emily thinks out loud, immediately regretting it.

Christian nods. "I did at one time."

Suddenly, Emily realizes that their interview is over. There's no coming back from a confession like that. The brunette quickly turns the recorder off. She nearly breaks down into tears, wanting Christian to run to her and confess to her how much he wants her back. But she knows that will never happen.

"I'm sorry." Emily quickly apologizes, "Your caught me off guard."

"I intended it to be that way." Christian says to her, "I assume that this interview is over?"

Emily nods, feeling embarrassed by her emotions. Christian clears his throat.

"I want to make a business deal." Christian says formally, but informally.

"A business deal? About what exactly?" Emily says confused.

Christian nods slowly, looking to the reflection of the imitation lava walls. Emily can see on Christian's face that it's hard to spit his words out.

"About us, Emily." Christian finally looks up at the brunette, "I want to start our relationship over, but with rules and agreements."

Emily arches a brow. "You can't have a relationship based on rules and agreements, Christian. It won't work."

"Please humor me." Christian sighs, "I've been wracking my brain trying to think up a way to make sense of what happened two days ago and how to fix the problems."

"You can't fix what happened, Christian." Emily says, "But I do believe in second chances."

The billionaire gives Emily a comforting smile. "Then let's create an agreement with rules—the do's and don't's of a relationship."

When Christian says "relationship", chills run up and down Emily's spine. She bats her eyes and looks down at the notepad in front of her.

"If we do this, we do it on my terms." Emily gives Christian a firm look.

He nods to her. "I wouldn't want it any other way."

Emily nods to Christian, who opens his notepad up to take notes. Before he could speak, the brunette blurts out the first thing she wants on their "contract".