Chap. 44: I'm Going To Be Away For A While

* Christian Taylor above *

Late in the night, before Christian could waste away another bottle of liquor to get his mind of his beloved girlfriend's absence, Happy had called the billionaire and explained hat there was an attack at the island. A man from the inside. Zephyr. This had enraged Christian but also brought him worry.

How many more of my men are secretly involved in this endless torment? Christian had wondered late that night, Who can I really trust if the people whose behind all of this has me blindfolded and has a knife to my back?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

           The tropical storm from the south blew in a rsiny front. Christian had called Eli Johnson to meet him at his office. The billionaire apologized for his inappropriate behavior by losing his nasty temper. After an hour of begging the British man to come back, Christian raised Eli's salary by 1,000 more dollars and sold the deal.

          "You start Tuesday." Christian nods to Eli, "I'm thinking about going on a trip tomorrow."

             Eli smirks. "Back to the ski resort?"

               Christian smirks. "Yeah, something like that."

                Eli stands, holding a hand out for Christmas to shake. The two men shake hands in agreement. The British man walks out, a huge smile on his pasty white face. April walks in, smiling at her boss.

             "Are you ready for me to order lunch, sir?" She says with a sweet smile.

              "April, go home." Christian sighs, looking out the window. "I don't feel like staying today."

              "Sir?" April says with a worried expression, "Are you alright?"

              Christian shakes his head. "I feel empty..."

               "Not to pry, but is this about Miss East's long vacation at the Ski Resort?" April says softly, trying to not press buttons.

             Christian smirks. "It's about everything, April. Everything and anything that parts me from the greatest love of my life."

            April slowly nods. "Alright, Mr. Taylor, sir. I will pack things up for the day."

             Christian rubs the dent in his desk. The memory of when he had made love to Emily on that very desk and caused the dent haunts him. He wipes his face with his hand, wanting nothing more than to just evaporate into thin air.

              I made a huge mistake. Christian shakes his head, Emily and I are both dead and nothing will ever stop these heathens from getting what they want from us.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

            The elevator dings as the doors open to the first floor. April had left a head of time as instructed by Christian. The billionaire's eyes can see the black SUV already parked outside for him. Felix, Blade, and Conrad all surround Christian  as they continue on their way.

          "Perhaps we can pick up some food on the way, Boss?" Blade suggest, "Possibly that will ease your nerves."

         Christian shakes his head. "No, go straight home. I want to rest."

          Felix opens the door for Christian. The billionaire begins to walk out of the building when a loud sound fills the streets of Drysdale. A sharp pain spreads through Christian's arm. He gasps as he looks down to see blood gushing out of his right arm. The bodyguards quickly begin to rush Christian into the SUV but another bullet is shot into the right side of the billionaire's ribcage. The man falls to the ground, pain pinching his body. He groans in pain, his mind going to Emily.

      Felix and Conrad pull the billionaire into the SUV as Blade shots towards the shooter. But the man is shot in the head and left for dead as the black SUV quickly speeds away.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

      On their way to the mansion, Conrad had took the two bullets out of Christian's arm and ribcage. He stitched them up with his bare hands and a needle and thread from his own jacket. The billionaire grits his teeth and takes large drinks of whiskey.

        "Grab all of the suitcases and duffle bags from my secret room, Conrad. And What else you can find upstairs in the master bedroom. Mine and Emily's." Christian says drunkly, groaning from the pain. "And make sure to grab all my files from my file cabinet. The weapons, my computer, and cellphones too. My office keys are here in my pocket. I'm going to be away for a while."

        The black SUV jerks to a stop. Conrad and Felix quickly gets out of the vehicle, rushing inside to gather Christian's things. The billionaire hisses at the pain.

            As darkness surrounds him, the billionaire focuses his mind on the one thing he longs for. Emily.