Chap. 15: But You Shouldn't

(Christian's mansion bedroom above)

             The sound of thunder rumbles outside the large window in Christian's bedroom. The billionaire lays with his back semi pressed against his headboard and his emerald green satin sheets. He stares out the window at the gloomy weather, his mind focused on multiple things. Emily lays with her head on his middle, tracing patterns on his lower abdomen.

                "What's on your mind?" Emily says curiously, "It's like you're a million miles away."

                 Christian looks down at her, pulling her up towards his chest. He kisses the top of her head, tenderly caressing her cheek. She holds his muscular frame closer to hers.

                   "I've got a lot on my mind, Sweetheart." Christian says to Emily.

                   Keeping in mind of her mission, Emily decides to use this moment to try me get information on Christian. Though the guilt weighs in on her.

"Tell me." She says softly, kissing his chest.

                   Christian stares into her dark eyes for a long period of time. She begins to wonder if he's suspicious of her.

                   The billionaire sighs, looking to the window again. "I can't trust anybody, Em."

The familiar nickname gives her goosebumps. She bites her lip as she thinks cautiously. The guilt eats her alive, making her question whether using Christian is really what she wants.

"You can trust me." Emily nearly gags at her lie, wanting to cry.

Christian softly smiles at her, brushing the loose strands of hair out of her face. "I know, Babygirl. I do trust you."

But you shouldn't. Emily thinks, fighting back her tears.

"I'll never question your loyalty to me again." Christian kisses her temple slowly, gazing off into his dark room. "But there's countless amount of people who have lied to me, Em. I had my head turned in such a way, I was hearing but not listening. Passive aggressively letting people get by with shit they shouldn't."

Emily looks up into his eyes, hoping to soften him. "They're stupid if they think you wouldn't find out."

Emily freezes, foreseeing her fate. Christian will find out about her going undercover to dig up information about him. The thought of losing him again but permanently this time makes her tear up. Christian looks down to see her tears as they drop down onto his bare, hairy chest.

"Baby, whats wrong? Why are you crying?" Christian brushes the tears away, making her look into his eyes.

Emily fakes a small smile, thinking up any truth she can tell him. "I just hate people doing you that way."

Thee sound of her voice breaking causes her to shed tears of pain and regret. The brunette buries her head into his collarbone, wishing she wasn't in the position she was in. Shocked at her sudden reaction, Christian shifts to his side and holds her closer to him. He holds her tightly in his strong arms. Her emotions and words tugs on his semi-stone heart. He kisses the top of her head tenderly, rubbing her back as Emily cries.

"Shhh! Hey hey now, Em." Christian whispers to her softly, "Stop crying, Baby. It's alright."

Emily wants to protest and spill the truth. But she knows it will only lead her back into exile where she will never be able to escape. She sniffs, loving how it feels to be in Christian's arms. The fear suddenly overwhelms her and she tries to think of something that will make her continue with the mission. Emily rubs her hand over the satin sheets, sniffing. Then she gets an idea.