Chapter 29: Everything's About To Change

"Why would you think that?" I reply instantly.
"I was thinking about the way you two were acting at dinner the other night. You both kept glancing at each other then looking away shyly. You held hands with Mikey but it was forced. When they left, Gerard looked a little jealous when you were giving more affection to his brother. I heard you having sex with somebody that night when Brendon went upstairs and then he left with a big grin on his face like he knew something he shouldn't. Plus, he's more your type, isn't he?" She states.
"I have a type?" I ask.
"You act like I don't know you. Tall, dark and messy hair, crooked smile, older, someone you shouldn't want," she replies. So basically every walking person who is older than me because that's a very general description of many people.
"I've only dated a girl once before Mikey, how would you know that I have a type?"
"I know the way your eyes twinkle when you find someone attractive," she says.
"Gross," I try to wave her off. I didn't confirm any of the things she said but I didn't deny them.
"Just tell me the truth. I won't report it or anything if you tell me," she bargains.
"Can I trust you?"
"I'm your fucking mother, of course you can."
"Then yes I am."
"How long has it been going on?" She asks.
"Since the first day of school," I reply.
"How do you feel about him?" Feelings. I hadn't thought about them in awhile. Things have been too chaotic for me to have a chance to think.
"I like him. He's cool," I reply.
"I want you to tell me everything from the beginning, you don't have to describe every time you fucked," she demands. I start from the beginning in detention, leaving out any sex, just saying we kissed. I told her about the library incident and then going over to his house and meeting his mom and then the road trip and the car breaking down. I told her mostly everything but I made it seem like we didn't have sex a lot which I'm sure she was glad to hear, even though it wasn't the truth.
"Wanna go out for dinner?" She offers. I can't exactly refuse her at this point, how she reacts and how I treat her is going to affect my relationship with Gerard and his life, ultimately.
"Of course," I reply.

We head out and stop at a local diner. I order a veggie burger and my mom orders some pasta.
"So, where do you see your relationship with Gerard going?" My mom asks.
"I hadn't really thought about it," I reply.
"All relationships either end in marriage or with a break up. What do you want with him?" I take a few seconds to think about her question. I really don't know. The waitress comes over and sets out drinks down. I shrug and let the question fall.
"You're a smart kid and I'll trust you for now as long as you don't lie to me, okay? The next time I see your teacher though, we will be having a very long conversation," she warns. The waitress returns with our food and I take a big bite, hoping that if my mom asks me a question, I'll be able to avoid it.
"I just don't see why he'd want you. I mean, I can see why you want him, but why does he want you? Do you think if we had a date, he would want me instead?" She says. I spit my food onto my plate in shock. So is this why she's not reporting him?
"What? Do you think he would or not?" Is she being serious?
"He's likes guys," I reply.
"I'm sure I can change that," she says. I scoff. It's not like that. You can't just change someone if the person knows for sure. Whatever. The conversation drops and I try to avoid eye contact with her whole I shove my food down my throat.

We finish our food in silence and we head home. I immediately head up to my room and slam the door shut.

My phone starts ringing and it's Gerard.
"Hello?" I answer the call.
"I miss you," he reveals.
"Can't go a day without me now, can you?" I laugh.
"It's true, I can't," he sighs. I don't know what to say.
"Can you come over?" He asks.
"If you pick me up," I reply.
"I'll be right there," he answers, hanging up. I wait outside for him.

Gerard picks me up and drives me over to his place with Fletcher in the backseat. When we get back, we set Fletcher in his crib and he sleeps. I curl up to Gerard on the sofa and he wraps his arm around me. I almost asleep listening to his heart beat and feeling his chest rise and fall until Fletcher starts crying.

-------------