Chapter 8: Didn't Know

Rey's POV:

Not long after Ben's reminder that he is always here for me, I fall asleep due to the medicine they gave me. When I finally wake up there is a nurse just about to leave my room. "Nurse," I weakly mutter surprised by how much effort it takes. He turns around with a look of surprise. "You're awake and so soon! You have only been asleep for two days. We were suspecting you were going to be asleep for much longer. I'll get the doctor but I got to check your vitals again now that you're awake."

When the nurse does leave the room. I don't have to wait long for the doctor to come in and talk to me. He is not human, a Togrta I think. "Rey, how do you feel?" He has the type of face that you can trust all your secrets too. "Like crap," I state. "That is to be expected." He gives me a very serious look. "Rey, you need to be taking better care of yourself. You passed out due to the amount of strain you have been putting your body through, combined with the lack of proper nutrition and water. You had us very worried for some time. It is very important for you to focus on your health more than ever especially in your state." He explains while I look at him slightly confused. "I don't understand, I probably skipped a few meals for sure but my body should get used to that due to the time I spent growing up on Jakku," I explain. "Well, your body is not used to these conditions while supporting an additional person. We're going to keep you here overnight just to make sure you and the little one are safe, if we feel like you are good to go then we will release you in the morning." He explains as I'm trying to figure out what to say next. "Wait! What do you mean supporting an additional person?!" I ask, my brain running a thousand miles an hour. "You didn't know?" He pauses for a moment as if trying to read my face to see if I'm joking, "Rey you're pregnant and if I had to take a guess you're about two months along. Now, you should be focusing on resting. We will be checking in on you now and then but we have no reason to worry. From what the nurse told me your vitals are looking good." With that, he left the room leaving me alone with my thoughts.

All I could ask was how? I was not in any kind of relationship at the time. Then it dawned on me. My dreams about me and Ben. What if they weren't dreams but times our force bond connected us while we thought we were just dreaming? My hand instinctively goes to my stomach and I close my eyes searching for the tiny force signature and once I feel it I instantly know it's his. It's mine and Ben's. "Oh force what am I going to do? I am nowhere ready to be a mother. I do not know how I am going to pull this off, especially since we are still at war. What if the Resistance asks me to fight alongside them again?" Looking down at my stomach knowing that I could not risk losing the child. Then a worse thought hits me. 'What if Ben does not want to be by my side and does not want to take up the responsibilities of being a father? The thought kills me and I can't feel Ben around me. He said he would be there for me no matter what but I can't help being frightened for me and my child's future. "I'm scared Ben."