Part XXII

“The punisher of wicked souls”, Namjoon’s words brought another shock to the occupants inside the room.

“Wait, you’re dad’s bestfriend!”, Yoongi blurted when their leader said those words.

Zaapiel smiled. Yes, he was once the bestfriend of Azrael.

“When I was young, he would tell stories about you, on how you would punish those souls before sending them to hell”, Yoongi couldn’t believe that this was the angel his father was so fond of talking about.

The excitement of the angel didn’t reflect his leader’s, instead, Zaapiel noticed Namjoon’s distrust in him.

“I don’t blame you. I would'nt trust me either if that's what you're thinking”, he told the leader.

“If you’re really an angel, what are the names of the Majestic Seven?”, Hoseok raised his brow, challenging him.

Zaapiel smirked, “Judging from your personality, I would say you’re Raphael’s son”. He then, turned to Jin, “you got your mother’s beauty, archangel Jophiel”. Next, was Yoongi, “you have Azrael’s eyes”. He looked up to stare at Namjoon, “Ariel, trained you well. As for the others, I bet Chamuel is still busy fixing everyone’s emotions. Is Gabriel still the messenger of heaven?”.

“Taehyung is training to be the messenger. He’s archangel Gabriel’s son”, Hoseok answered.

“I see. I guess, they have to retire someday and how can I forget the leader of the archangels, Michael?”.

“Satisfied?”, Yoongi said to his cousin.

It was obvious that they were all amazed and was now convinced that he can be trusted but Namjoon still have qualms about it.

“But why didn’t you return to heaven?”, Jin asked.

“I can’t?”.

“What do you mean you can’t? You’re still an angel so, it’s not that difficult to return. Heaven, who’s a Nephilim can enter and exit without any problem”, Hoseok pointed out.

“It’s not about that”, Zaapiel said.

“Then what?”, Mara questioned.

“I just couldn’t”, he stared at his cup, how can he explain to these young angels what he was feeling?

“You didn’t fail on your mission, sir and I think the council will agree on that”, Namjoon voiced out what he couldn’t.

“What’s your name?”, Zaapiel somehow thought that this angel was too mature for his age. Though they were thousand years old, they’re still young compared to him.

“Namjoon”, the angel answered.

“I know Ariel is proud to have a very smart son like you”, Zaapiel grinned.

“Thank you, sir”.

“That’s why he’s our leader”, Hoseok beamed with pride.

“You’re right. I couldn’t return because I’m a coward. I was one of the best soldiers there was but because I failed on my mission I just couldn’t face the Majestic Seven. I couldn’t face Azrael”. There was so much sadness in his eyes and Mara was affected by this.

“The archangels will not see that as failure, sir. You had done your part as a soldier and I know that they are grateful for that”, the princess smiled and it helped lessen Zaapiel’s burden.
For years he was hiding, from demons, who he knew were still given orders to hunt him down and from the council, because of his failure as a soldier and as a friend.

“Thank you, princess. I needed to hear that”, Zaapiel said.
“Enough about me. So, how did the lot of you end up on this side of the forest?”.

The angels looked at the princess. She knew it was her place to explain. She looked at Namjoon and when he gave her a nod, she was confident to speak about her dilemma.

“My father is cursed and in order to lift it, we have to look for ........ something, until those creatures found us”, she paused, not sure if this fallen angel will believe her, “and that something can be found in a cave in Muspar forest”.

“Muspar forest, you say?”, Zaapiel slightly tilted his head on the right, as if he just remembered something. Everyone was silent, waiting for him to speak.

“I don’t know where exactly is that, but I think I know someone who can help you find that forest”.

Mara’s face lit up. She looked back at Namjoon and the angel smiled at her. Just when she thought they were beyond saving her father, here comes a sliver of hope and this made her happy.
The leader, on the other hand was just glad that the princess forgot for the meantime her near death experience. He saw how the princess was shaken earlier but now, she had shown him how brave she was.

“So, will you help us?”, she stared at Zaapiel with her pleading eyes.

“Of course, your highness”.

“Thank you, so much. I promise that when we return back to Fairyland, I will repay you”, she promised.

“There’s no need, princess. There’s just one problem”.

“and that is?”, Namjoon crossed his arms. He had expected that there will be problems that will arise on this journey but it was better to know what is ahead of them.

“Did those harpies got a taste of you?”, Zaapiel looked at each of their confused faces. “Those creatures kill and eat their victims, but if they liked your taste they will keep you and who knows what they will do before devouring you”.

“They are cannibals?”, Hoseok was disgusted but Mara felt her blood was drained from her.

“I think it ........ licked me”, she admitted.

“That was the reason why the creature took you away and it will come back to get you”.

The princess shivered just thinking of the awful creature getting its hand on her again. She closed her eyes, hoping to erase the memory from her mind.

“I will not let that happen”, Namjoon’s voice was full of determination and promise. Mara opened her eyes and was relieved by his words.

“So, when can we meet this someone who can help us?”, Jin asked.
“As soon as possible”, Namjoon glanced at the fallen angel who gave him a nod in return.

“Can we fly, for once?”, Yoongi’s tired expression says it all but a look from their leader changed his mind, “Or.... we can walk, not a problem”, he shrugged.

Stop glaring at me. I forgot that Mara can’t fly long distances, okay? He directed his thoughts to Namjoon.

Shut it, Yoongi. If you’re just not too lazy to do physical exercises then, your muscles will not give up easily on you!, the leader retorted.

Why not carry her instead? Hoseok or Jin can carry Zaapiel. That way, all of us will be spared from walking.

Yoongi, do remember that she is a princess and touching her is not that easy.

Correction, not easy for you. Then, let me carry her, instead. He sensed that the latter was having an emotional struggle when it comes to Mara.

If you lay one finger on her, I’ll make sure you will never produce fire in your hands ever again

If you lay one finger on her, I’ll make sure you will never produce fire in your hands ever again. Namjoon saw him smirked.

Jealous are we?, Yoongi provoked but their silent bickering was interrupted

“Well then, I hope no one’s afraid of seasickness”, Zaapiel stated.

“Sea...sick.....ness?”, Hoseok paled.

“Here we go again”, Jin sighed while Namjoon facepalmed