Chapter 15

After another night at sea, the Interceptor slowed it's pace. The sky grew overcast as you joined Will by the railing, looking ahead through the fog that was gradually forming low over unusually calm waves. Will's hair moved with the slight breeze as the air filled with the rotting stench of aging, waterlogged wood. The bows and masts of ships sprouted from the water, surrounding the Interceptor. "Many a ship has gone down in these waters." Gibbs said, walking over to join you and Will, but after looking from you to Will and back to you again, he left, realizing that you were about to have a moment. You nervously fiddled with your dolphin pendant.

"Will?" He turned to face you.
"Yes, Y/n?"
"Whatever happens today, I just want you to know," You leaned in closer to him, "I love you."  Will opened his mouth to reply, but was sorely cut off.

"We're here, mates!" Jack said, walking over with his hair blowing in the wind that had picked up. You swore under your breath, a very unladylike thing to do. But you didn't care. You had waited what felt like an eternity to say that to him. And he was going to answer your prayers and say it back. But screw Jack, getting in the way of everything ever. "You," He pointed at Will, "will be coming with me. And you," his hand moved in the direction of you, "will be staying here and out of trouble."
"No!" Will protested. "She comes with us."
"She," You said, rather taken aback, "can speak for herself and decide whether or not she wants to go without your help." Will looked at you with a bit of hurt and concern in his eyes, searching your face for how you truly felt, though you had just told him. "But she will go with you."

"Fine. She can come along." Jack said, waving a hand dismissively as he went to lower a boat in the water. Gibbs stopped him and put a hand on Jack's shoulder as he was passing the crew, and leaned in, saying, "keep to the code."
"Aye." Jack threw a ladder over the side of the Interceptor and climbed down it, boots splashing in the thin layer of water in it from the storm the previous day. You went next, one hand holding the bottom of your skirt closed and the other holding onto the ladder, knuckles white. Will came down next as Jack sat down on the plank across from you and started rowing away from the ship. You and Will awkwardly sat next to each other wordlessly, you silently huffing facing away from him. You had your own voice and he just needed to accept that. And apologize. You wouldn't talk to him, unless completely necessary, until he did. 

Because you weren't paying attention as to where the boat was going, it startled you when darkness filled the space around you and your surroundings changed to a cave made of dark stone. You looked into the water under the boat and realized that the light from the lantern Jack had was being reflected off hundreds of gold coins in the water below. As the boat inched farther along, you noticed there were also many human sculls littering the ocean floor, but you decided not to dwell on it too much. The pendant felt heavy on your chest.

"What 'code' are we to keep to?" Will asked as the boat silently glided forward.
"The pirate's code. Anyone who falls behind gets left behind." Jack replied, sending shivers down your arms. Will interpreted that as you being cold and began removing his jacket to give to you, but you scoffed and just wrapped yourself into a tighter ball, ignoring him. You could fend for yourself! How long was it going to take for him to acknowledge that!

"You know mate?" Jack said to Will who had put his jacket back on after seeing that you didn't want it, "You're already on your way to becoming a great pirate." Will opened his mouth to protest, but Jack continued, "You're a good sword handler, you can sail, kind of, and you're obsessed with treasure."
"I am not obsessed with treasure." Will replied indignantly as the boat hit the shore. All three of you got out as Jack said, "Not all treasure is gold, mate."

Jack continued ahead as you and Will made eye contact. "I'm sorry, Y/n. I know you can handle yourself, I just," He faltered for a second, "I don't want you to get hurt. I care about you, Y/n."
"I'm sorry too. I overreacted. Forgive me?"
"Always." Will pulled you into a kiss, but pulled away when he heard a voice. You heard it too and the two of you noticed simultaneously that Jack was looking at something. Or someone.

"How many of you have proved your mettle a hundred times over," The voice said, met by a chorus of cheers, "And a hundred times again!" More cheers rang out as you and Will joined Jack. It appeared to be a crew of pirates and the main voice was the one standing on a giant pile of gold, a chest beside him. And behind the chest... was Elizabeth.