Chapter 10: The Marble Man

Marius could feel his heart pumping in his chest. The revolution loomed closer and closer each day. Now all they needed was some way to spark the flame that consumed him and his friends in the hearts of the people. He watched as Enjolras stood in front of the crowd, delivering yet another of his riveting speeches.

        "Vive le France! Vive le France!" the crowd shouted, led by Enjolras. Marius joined in ecstatically. "Vive le France!"

        Marius smiled, wishing the revolution would come sooner. Freedom for the poor, he thought. He would fight for Adalene Pontmercy. He would fight for Eponine, so that she could have a better life.

        Suddenly, a little boy caught his eye. It was Gavroche, Eponine's little brother. He bore a striking resemblance to his sister. He had the same olive skin and big brown eyes. He was raising his tiny fist and screaming as loud as his little lungs allowed him to. "Vive le France!"

        Marius grinned and waved at him. He waved back. "'Ello, Marius," the little boy said, scampering over to him. "You seen my sister around?"

        "She's probably at her house," Marius replied.

        "What about Grantaire? He promised to give me some white bread."

        "No, I haven't seen him today," Marius admitted. "But here," he said, pulling some bread he had been saving for later from his pocket. "Take this. Grantaire is probably drunk right now. I'll be sure to tell him off if I see him."

        Gavroche laughed and took the bread, devouring it greedily. "Thanks," he said with his mouth full. "See you around, Marius."

        "Au revoir Gavroche," Marius said as the little boy ran off.

        "Hey, Marius."

        "Enjolras," he said, greeting his friend with a clap on the back. "Great speech."

        "Thanks," Enjolras said. "I think the people are starting to rise up."

        "I agree," said Marius. "The revolution will come before we know it."

        Enjolras nodded, but he did not seem very focused on the conversation, which was very unusual for the Marble Man. "Say, Marius," Enjolras said, clearing his throat. "How's your friend Eponine doing?"

        The other day, Marius had replenished the money that Thenardier had made Eponine steal from Enjolras and Grantaire. In doing so, Marius had told Enjolras about the beating Eponine had gotten. Marius was surprised that Enjolras seemed so concerned about Eponine's well-being. Once again ,the Marble Man did not seem so "marble."

        "She's great," said Marius. "She actually went back home today. I'll probably go check on her later to make sure she got home okay."

        "Oh, that's good. Well, tell her I said hello. I mean, maybe you shouldn't. That might be weird, since we don't really know each other. But I guess we've met, so maybe it's not weird. I don't know. Is it weird?" Enjolras stuttered.

        "No, it's not weird. But you're acting weird. Are you feeling all right?" Marius asked him.

        "Huh? Oh yeah, I feel fine. Absolutely great. Well, good-bye Marius. Tell hello I said Eponine. I mean, tell Eponine I said hello." Enjolras' face was almost as red as his vest. He turned around and walked away abruptly, leaving Marius staring after him, bewildered. Why was Enjolras, the Marble Man, the strong leader of the revolution, suddenly so flustered?