Chapter 26: The Night Before

Marius spent the last night before the revolution with Cosette. In three day's time, her ship would leave for England, and she would be torn away from him. He clasped her soft hands and pulled her close. He kissed the ends of her golden locks. She had never looked lovelier. Her eyes sparkled. Her cheeks were rosy and her lips were soft and pink. Her green eyes sparkled.

        The entire time, Marius could not keep his mind off of Eponine.

        He was so angry with himself. How could he have hit her? What demon had possessed him and made him lash out at her? And why, why, was he so upset by the fact that she had kissed Enjolras?

        "What is the matter, cherie?" Cosette asked him.

        "Nothing," Marius replied quickly. "I'm just worried about the revolution." For some reason, Marius did not want to talk about Eponine with Cosette.

        Cosette wrapped her arms around his waist. "Promise me you'll be safe," she whispered.

        Marius kissed her forehead gently. "I promise," he replied. He looked into the eyes of his beloved. He was suddenly struck by the fact that he hardly knew this girl. How could he be so sure that he loved her if they did not even know each other?

        "I wish Papa was not making us move away," Cosette said, her eyes glistening with tears.

        Marius stoked her hair and kissed her forehead. "After this revolution is done, I will find you," he promised. "Even if I have to swim across the sea, I will find you, and we will be together forever and always."

        Cosette smiled at this. "I love you," she said, resting her head against his chest.

        "I love you, too," he replied.

        And still, he could not stop thinking about Eponine.

(Author's Note: Sorry this chapter is so short! I promise I'll make up for it in future chapters. Thanks for reading! :-)