Chapter 28: Constant as the Northern Star

Marius clutched his gun, ducking behind the barricade. This was it. The moment of fate. The revolution was here.

        Marius glanced over his shoulder and spotted a young boy wearing a brown cap. That cap looked very familiar. Marius frowned and looked more closely at the boy's face. He had big brown eyes and a confident disposition. No, not he. She. "Eponine," he muttered, shaking his head. God, Ponine, the things you do, he thought. It warmed his heart that she was here. Despite all the ways he had hurt her, she stayed by his side, risking her life to be near him. Good old Ponine, constant as the Northern Star. Cosette would never do this for me, he realized. Marius made a start towards Eponine, ready to apologize profusely for hitting her and to beg her to leave the barricade in order to protect her life. Then he stopped in his tracks, his heart sinking like a stone. Enjolras reached Eponine first and began to engage her in conversation. Marius could not hear what they were saying, but he was sure Enjolras was whispering sweet romantic words into Eponine's ear. Marius scowled, clenching his fists. Then Eponine leaned over and wrapped her arms around Enjolras' waist. She planted a quick kiss on his cheek. Marius turned away. Of course. Eponine was there for Enjolras, not him. He couldn't blame her, after the way he had treated her. He only hoped that Enjolras would do a better job at giving Eponine the respect she deserved.

        Marius knew he had to get Eponine away from the barricade. He would not be able to bear it if she was killed in battle. He took a deep breath and walked over to her.

        "Hey little boy, what's this I see?" he said.

        Eponine whipped her head around. "Marius," she said, greeting him with a polite smile. "Bonjour, Monsieur."

        "Ponine, listen," Marius said, clearing his throat. "I'm really sorry about what happened the other day. I don't know what came over me."

        "It's all right, Monsieur," Eponine said with a shrug. "It didn't hurt that much."

        "But I shouldn't have done it at all!" Marius said. "I don't deserve your forgiveness."

        "Marius, I was wrong, too. I should not have said those terrible things about Cosette. Why don't we just call it even and forgive and forget?"

        Marius nodded. "Okay. Forgive and forget." He smiled at her. "You're the best, Ponine."

        "I know I am," Eponine said with a grin. "Don't you forget it!"

        Marius chuckled. "Listen, you need to get out of here," he told her. "You might get shot."

        Eponine shook her head. "I'm staying right here."

        "Please, I don't want you to get hurt!"

        "I am not going to just sit alone in safety while my friends risk their lives! I am staying here whether you like it or not. Besides, where would I go? I don't have a home, remember?"

        Marius sighed. He should have known his attempts at getting her away from danger would be futile. Then, he had an idea. He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket. It was a love letter he had written to Cosette during a sleepless night before the revolution. He had never actually meant to give it to Cosette, but it was a great excuse to get Eponine away from the barricade.

        "Ponine, will you do me a favor?" he asked. "Will you take this letter to Cosette? And pray to God that she's still there."

        Eponine looked hurt. "I am not your little messenger pigeon," she snapped.

        "Please, Eponine," he said, almost begging. "Do this for me."

        Eponine sighed. "Fine." She took the letter and ran off.

        Marius stared after her. He could tell she did not like the idea of delivering love letters to Cosette, but at least he had succeeded in getting her away from the barricade.

        "She is so in love with you," a voice said. Marius turned around to see Grantaire, a bottle in his hand and a smirk on his face.

        "No, she loves Enjolras," Marius said, bitterness creeping into his voice.

        "Oh, him too!" Grantaire said with a chuckle.

        "And she knows I love Cosette," Marius added.

        "You know," Grantaire said, "I think her emotions are a lot more complicated than you think. As are your own emotions."

        Marius rolled his eyes. "I think you have had a bit too much to drink, Grantaire."

        "Very true," Grantaire replied, taking a swig from his bottle.

        Marius shook his head, exasperated at his friend. "How can you drink at a time like this?"

        Grantaire looked at him with sad eyes. "Especially at a time like this," he responded. Then he turned away, leaving Marius to ponder all he had said.